The Best Day

(Yes this is a song fic. Any old Taylor Swift music stans?)

⚠️⚠️MAJORLY SAD? I SOBBED WHILE WRITING THIS BUT THAT COULD JUST BE FROM NOSTALGIA⚠️⚠️

⚠️⚠️ENDGAME SPOILERS?? AND A REFERENCE TO FFH BUT ITS NOT A PLOT SPOILER⚠️⚠️

_____

"I mean, what are tears? There's only depression and and adrenaline in the Marvel fandom" -Puppycorn13

_____

Peter Stark pulled on his coat and zipped it up, and looked up at Tony. "Let's go!" He said happily.

Tony smiled at his five year old son and took his hand, walking through the small pumpkin patch that grew beside their lake house.

He laughs as Peter lets go of Tony's hand to run through the field, and Peter glances up at Tony, smiling a toothy grin.

They spend the whole day in that pumpkin patch, and Peter eventually gets too tired to walk. Tony picks him up and carries him home, and Peter falls asleep in his arms. He hugs him tightly in his sleep.

The golden sky fades to twilight as Peter is tucked into his bed, and Tony looks fondly at him. "Love you three thousand kiddo," he murmurs, standing up and leaving Peter's room.

xxx

Three years pass, and Peter is reading a book about heroes. He stops reading when he sees a picture of his dad in the Iron Man suit. He quickly turns to that page and reads the whole thing, over and over.

Then he rushes to Tony. "Dad! Can you tell me stories about when you were Iron Man?" He asks excitedly.

Tony smiles at him. "Sure."

They spend the whole afternoon talking, and Peter can't wait to grow up and be as fearless and brave as his dad.

xxx

Peter's thirteen now and he comes home from school crying.

Tony immediately turns to him and frowns. "Peter, what's wrong? What happened?"

"H-How can f-friends be so mean?" He stutters out, wiping away tears.

Tony looks at him for a second and then hugs him tightly, carding a hand through his hair. Usually Peter pushes Tony away from these interactions, smiling and saying how he was too old for hugs. This time, he just crumbles further and let's out a sob.

They stay like that for a minute and then Tony grabs his car keys. He tosses Peter his Star Wars sweatshirt. "C'mon, let's go."

Peter pulls on the sweatshirt and follows him outside, taking off his glasses to wipe more tears away.

They climb into the car and drive for about an hour, talking and listening to music. Peter grins at Tony when "Back In Black" comes on.

"Hey Dad," he says mischievously.

"Hm?" Tony glances over.

"I love this Led Zeppelin song."

Tony sharply inhales. "Peter, you are grounded."

He bursts out laughing, and Tony smiles a bit.

Eventually they get to a small town an hour away from home, full of small shops and gas stations. Tony parks on the side of the road and gets out of the car, and Peter follows him.

As their walking down the sidewalk in the town, Tony finally asks.

"So, what happened with your friends?"