Routine

Written in celebration of the new trailer, which I am screaming about. Tears are literally running down my face I was n OT  R EA D Y-

Peter woke up and started the same routine. Clean clothes, brush teeth, comb hair, and then go eat breakfast with May before school. It was an identical routine and he didn't plan on changing it anytime soon, so he went along with it as usual.

He jogged out of his bedroom and smiled at May. "G'morning, May." 

She smiled back and ruffled his hair, giving him a tight hug. "You know what, Peter?" She asks. Peter hums in response. "The moment you walk in the room, it's brighter. I love you for that," she explains fondly. Peter smiles softly. May hands him a bowl of cereal and they sit down together, eating quietly.

"You excited for school?" May asks.

Peter shrugs. "I don't know. It's the same structured day as always. All that changes is the socialization, and only Ned talks to me. Well, Michelle does occasionally, but-"

"Oooh!" May teases. Peter rolls his eyes, a faint blush on his face.

"Stop it, May." Peter says quietly, waving his hand off distantly.

May smiles widely. "Got a new crush already, Pete?" She says, laughing slightly. Peter stuffs his face with more cereal. "I'm sure she loves you already," May says with a grin. Peter chokes on his cereal, and recovers from it just as fast as May rolls her eyes. "I'm not kidding, Peter."

He stands up and grabs his backpack, slinging it on his shoulder with enthusiasm. He kisses May's cheek. "Bye, Aunt May." 

May smiles proudly. "Bye, Peter. Have a good day at school, okay?" She says, concern edging her voice at the end of the sentence.

Peter nods, opening the door. "I'll try," He says, closing the door and walking out.

He walks in to the elevator, pressing the button for the bottom floor. He puts in earbuds and decides to play a playlist with oldies and alternative music to pass the time.

When the elevator reaches the bottom floor, he walks out and runs into someone. He apologizes and quickly leaves, not wanting to start trouble.

And so he walks his way to the subway, singing along softly to whatever music was in his head at the time. Following routine. Speaking of routine, when he walks to the doors, Flash quickly speeds in front of him with his car, which is only as frightening as the last four hundred times he's done it. Peter ignores him.

He goes to his locker first thing, entering in the code and grabbing the books he needed for his first class. 

"Hey, Pete." A voice sounds from behind him. He quickly turns around. Ned stands there, smiling.

"Hi, Ned." Peter replies.

"What's up?" Ned asks.

"Not much. I'm just chilling in Cedar Rapids, I guess," he says lamely.

Ned laughs, and they walk to their next class together, talking about their usual Star Wars and after school plans. It was routine. Peter asked if Ned wanted to come over after school, which Ned surprisingly denied.

"I can't," he explained. "I have a date."

Peter splutters. "Dude! Why didn't you tell me?" 

Ned smiles brightly. "I wanted it to be a surprise, man!"

Peter raises an eyebrow.

Ned sighs, giving in. "I asked her this morning."

Peter laughs. "That makes sense." He mentally made plans to go to Mr. Stark's lab instead. "I'm not that shocked Betty said yes, to be honest."