Injection

Spooktober.22

I frucking hate the dentist

"Mr. Stark, I'm not really sure about this. I can just not take the surgery, right???"

"Peter, you have to take your wisdom teeth out. Relax, okay? Don't worry. Bruce worked up a nice drug that won't cause you to go into a panic," Tony says calmly.

Peter nods a little, sitting back in his seat. He still fidgets with his hands and his sleeve. He's always hated the dentist office, there was something about the impending awfulness and doom that came from cavities or some other terrible bone malfunction because teeth were the worst.

These were the troubling thoughts that reverberated in his mind as he sat in the dentist's weird annoying chair with the weird annoying lights and the weird annoying smell.

The DentistTM walks in. She smiles at him with her stupidly perfect teeth, taunting him.

Peter's already breaking into a sweat. He smiles nervously back and then shuts his mouth.

The surgery is supposed to be quick. Maybe an hour or so. In and out. The injection is displayed.

"Hi, Peter," The dentist smiles kindly. She talks to him as she preps his arm for the drug. "This is gonna be real fast, okay? You won't even feel a thing."

Tony scrunches his nose at the humour of her last comment. If only she knew.

Peter on the other hand, is barely taking in her words. He nods lamely. He hates needles. So so much. He hates this. He hates dentist's offices. He hates this. He hates this. He hates—

His thoughts start to feel loose. Peter blinks drowsily and looks around. "Wh-a-t?"

Their words drown out and he falls asleep.

And then he wakes up.

His mouth hurts. He cringes at the feel of the cloth pillows in his mouth. The dentist says something quick to Tony and then leaves. She doesn't look as smiley and positive as when she walked in, but Peter doesn't have it in him to care.

He grins dopily at Tony. "Mr. St'rk!"

"Hey, underoos. How you feeling?" Tony looks over at him. "You woke up kinda quick."

"Oh. I forgot I fell asleep," Peter slurs, his mouth struggling to form some of the words.

Tony laughs a little. "Yeah, that makes sense. You're kinda high on pain meds right now, kiddo."

"Why'd'you call me that?"

Tony quirks an eyebrow at him. "Call you what?"

"Everything but my name!"

Tony snorts at this. "It's a dad thing. Maybe you'll get it in a few years."

"Wha'? That doesn' make any sense!" Peter pouts. "You gotta tell me now."

"Nah."

Peter huffs and then looks off. He stares off into space and then seemingly snaps out of it, going to stand up.

Tony quickly stands up first, supporting him. "Woah. Okay, we're doing that now? You gotta give me some warning, Pete."

"I wanna go home, I'm done going to the bone doctors."

"I—" Tony stifles a laugh. "Okay, kid. Let's go home."

He walks Peter out to the car, buckling the seatbelt for him and then getting in his own seat. Tony turns to Peter before starting the car. "You sure you're okay? You don't need to throw up or spit out blood or something?"

Peter nods. "Yeah! I feel great," he grins lazily. "Totallllyyyy gooooodd."

Tony slowly nods back at him and then starts the car.

"Hey, Tony?"

"Mhm?"

"I love you. You're like...my dad. You make me proud to be a sciencer."

Tony is silent for a good second, and then narrows his eyes. "....Sciencer?"

"Yknow?" Peter yawns. "Like a... Like a science person? Bill Nye the Science Guy."

"A scientist??" Tony cackles.

Peter laughs along with him, not knowing what for. "Yeah! That thing."

"Love you too, kid." Tony laughs for a little more, occasionally breaking into chuckles on the way home. "Sciencer," he mumbles with a fond grin.

Peter looks out the window.

He's at peace.

Tony drops Peter at May's, walking him up to the apartment door to be sure Peter doesn't pass out randomly in the hallway. He looks about that exhausted.

When Peter stumbles into the apartment, he finally collapses on the couch, making both May and Tony smile.

"That kid gets so tired after he's worked up, it amazes me how much he stresses," May comments as she puts a blanket over Peter and sits him up a little. "How'd he do?"

"Surprisingly well. He was really anxious, but he got through it," Tony nods. "And you're definitely right. He stresses way too much."

May smiles at him. "I'm really happy Peter has you in his life. He really looks up to you, Tony."

Tony looks back at Peter, sound asleep on the couch. He smiles back at May softly. "Yeah, well... I'm glad he's in my life too. Gives me practice to baby proof the lab for Morgan."

May laughs. "Right, of course."

Tony grins and stands up. "I'll talk to you later, May. Update me on the kid."

"Always," May calls back as Tony leaves.

Peter curls into his blanket, looking content. The sun filters through the curtains, giving their newer apartment a glowing atmosphere. May misses her old one. She's sure Peter does too.

But they have their family, and that's all that counts.

Peter is safe.

He looks peaceful.

Fin.

A/N: I'm literally never doing this challenge again I don't remember any of the chapters I've written in the past week and I can't tell if it's from stress or from stress 😂😂😂😂