House Fire

Spooktober.21

⚠️just read the title⚠️I

Morgan had never stayed over at Peter's house. Pepper had suggested it a few times, but they had never gotten around to it.

That is, until tonight.

Things were going pretty well. Morgan absolutely adored Peter, and May absolutely adored her. She listened well and was also incredibly bright, so she got along with Peter well.

They fell asleep watching movies in the living room, and then that was the end of it.

May had left the apartment to take clothes to the dry cleaners. As she gave over the money, there was loud ambulance sirens. She looks over at the window and she sees a firetruck going full speed down the street. Going down the street and right to their apartment complex.

She widens her eyes and takes out her phone quickly to call Peter.

When Peter woke up, it was because of the smoke alarms. The whole building was full of dark smoke, and it even smelt like it was burning. He heard screaming, but also the sirens far away.

He jumped into action, leaping up from his sleeping position on the living room floor. "MORGAN!"

She was nowhere to be found, but her blanket was on the floor.

"Morgan! Where are you?!" Peter coughed harshly from the smoke, and his eyes stung. He looked around wildly, kicking open doors. "Morgan!"

He heard an explosion of flames from the other side of the building. His senses were not pleased with him for not getting out of the flames, but he wasn't leaving without her.

Finally, he was able to hear very faint crying in the bathroom. Peter goes to open the door and the handle burns his hand, but he opens it anyway. "Morgan?!"

Morgan was sitting in the bathtub, hugging herself tightly and shutting her eyes as she cried. She was shaking with fear, but she didn't look hurt.

Peter rushes over to her and picks her up. He yanks a jacket from the coat rack and holds it up to her face. "Breathe through this, okay? I've got you. We're gonna get out of here."

Morgan nods and keeps the jacket to her face, coughing and crying.

Peter closes the door behind him and keeps Morgan as close to him as possible. He bangs on the doors in the hallway as he's leaving. "FIRE!" He shouts as loud as he can. "EVERYBODY GET OUT OF THE BUILDING!"

That causes a panic, and many people come out of their apartment. People start shouting the same words, and all of them start evacuating.

Peter keeps moving. He keeps shouting warnings as he's going down the stairs, pounding on as many doors as possible despite moving quickly.

Morgan continues to cry, holding onto Peter for dear life. Once they get to the bottom floor, Peter sets her down. "Morgan, listen to me. Get out of the building and go look for May. She should be right outside, okay?"

Morgan cries louder and shakes her head. "Peter, I can't leave you!"

"I'll be okay, Morg. I promised your dad I'd keep you safe. I'll come back, I promise. Now go," Peter says, gently nudging her out the door.

May spots Morgan and quickly pulls her further outside. She goes to take Peter's arm, but he runs inside before she can fully take him to safety. "PETER!"

Morgan suddenly pushes away from May and sprints in after Peter.

Peter does his job as normal, getting people out of the building. Once he's sure everybody has evacuated the building, he goes back down the stairs and outside. He goes up to May, but doesn't see Morgan.

"May, where—"

"She went inside," May said in a panic, her face full of fear. Peter's heart drops and he looks back at the building.

It was fully in flames now, with only some of the bottom floors safe. Firefighters are running into the building. Peter goes to get back inside, but the fire department stops him.

"Wait—no—you have to let me through!" Peter screams. "MORGAN!"

Suddenly the whole building starts crumbling to the ground in large chunks. Peter looks on in horror.

He stumbles back, trying not to throw up. His whole face goes unnaturally pale, and he falls back into May. May has tears in her eyes.

Then the whole scene goes black as Peter passes out.

When he finally wakes up, his chest feels impossibly heavy with guilt. He groggily sits up, and then realizes something is holding his arm down.

It scares him at first, but then he looks down and sees Morgan tucked into his arm, snoring. Her hair is wet and she's wearing fresh clothes.

Peter breaks down sobbing at the realization she's okay, which wakes up the child sleeping on him.

Morgan sits up and looks up at Peter with wide eyes. "Peter! You're okay!"

Peter brings her into a tight hug, still crying.

"Why're you crying?" Morgan furrows her eyebrows, hugging him back.

"Because you're okay. You're okay," he repeats.

"Yeah duh."

Peter chokes a tearful laugh. He sees Tony come into the room and fear runs through him. He pulls away from Morgan.

"M-Mr. Stark. I—I'm so sorry, I—"

"Kid, it's fine," Tony interrupts.

"No, it's not fine. She was supposed to be safe when she came over, but then that happened and I—I almost lost her, and I'm just so sorry."

"Peter," Tony frowns. "We'll talk about this later. For now, just enjoy that Morgan is safe, and she's trying to hug you again."

Peter's gaze snaps back to Morgan, who has her arms open. Peter instantly hugs her back.

An hour or so later, Morgan falls asleep again when they watch some Disney movie on Peter's phone. Then Tony clears his throat. Peter looks up at him.

"I'm—"

"Sorry? Yeah. I know," Tony sighs. "Listen, kid. I'm not angry at you. It wasn't you who started that fire. All you did was help get everybody else out. Including Morgan. Relax, okay?"

Peter is quiet at this, and then speaks up in a small voice. "..Why aren't you mad at me?"

Tony's eyes soften. "Peter. Would you get angry at your kid if they saved their younger sibling from a house fire?"

"No, of course not. But—"

"No. That's all. You did a good thing Peter. Leave it at that. Don't let your brain overthink it."

Peter slowly nods. He pulls Morgan closer.

"Get some rest, kid." Tony stands up. "You deserve it."

He leaves the room.

Peter looks up at Tony as he leaves, and then eventually drifts to sleep.

Morgan sleeps safely in her brother's arms. Tony trusts this statement completely, and he always will.

Fin.

a/n: it will take me a bit to get to all of your requests, but expect them in November! (I'm also working on a 3-parter, included spideychelle and IronDad. stay tuned)