Chapter 13

I didn't know how long I flied or where I went; I had just focused on the wind stroking my very sensitive wings. I listened to the powerful beat of them and the rustle of feathers, taking my mind completely off the matter from before.

I just didn't want to think about it.

Not now, at least.

I watched in awe as the sun slowly began to die, setting that golden hew across the clouds, highlighting the curves and bumps with that warm amber. It was truly stunning.

And I watched how the sky bled into pinks and bruised purples, then gently turning darker and darker, until the stars began to shimmer to life. And from up here, the view was unforgettable.

It was as if I was swimming through a sea of glistening stars and galaxies. And as I soared, I let the moon soak into my skin, fuelling my energy.

And then the pain managed to weasel its way into my heart and head, as I remembered what had occurred and this time, I didn't run away from it. When I was up here, it felt like I could overcome anything.

Sadness and anger clung to me again, as I thought about it.

They had lied and it wasn't even a little lie, one I could brush off easily. This lie changed my entire life! No wonder I was always the odd one out. My family perhaps didn't care about me one bit. It seemed like nobody truly cared. 

And I could feel myself there, peering at that darkness beneath me, the roaring grieving silence that beckoned to me with open arms.

But I stepped back from those arms; I didn't want to fall back into that silence that plagued me day and night. I didn't want to be sad anymore, yet I couldn't stop the endless questions that formed every second. 

My other family had cared for me and loved me. Unless it had all been a façade, perhaps they never truly loved me because I was different, I wasn't really their family.

Did Rowan love me? Or was I also just a burden on his shoulders. Had I always been the burden on everyone? Then why did they take me in? Why did they take the child with strange eyes? The child that had powers that could kill them all? Why not let another family handle the pain I was?

A shudder of despair coursed through me.

No. 

Stop.

Breathe. 

And I did, I breathed in the roaring wind that howled past me, I breathed and let it clear my thoughts and that sadness. 

I wouldn't be sad anymore. I wouldn't. 

I would rage and fight, but I would not let that grieving darkness get a hold of me. 

I was in control, I was the master of myself. 

I could do this. 

Fire and darkness and ice and wind.

Those were what lived in me. They were who I was, the things I could count on when all else left.

But now I was also a princess of a great kingdom. One I've heard so many stories about. And not good ones.

The small village library had one book on the Kingdom of the Moon.

The brutal army of hundreds, maybe thousands of merciless soldiers, who obeyed everything their commanders said, even if it was to slaughter millions of innocents. They had conquered country after country, always hungry for more power. The King and Queen the most heartless and cruel of them all.