Chapter 14

My eyes flashed open at the sudden light that was pouring into my room, the harsh sunlight giving me headache.

What a great start to the day.

I pulled myself out of the warm bed and trudged into the bathroom, where I didn't balk at the sight of my crazy bed hair and the dark eye bags that I had gotten from last night, not when this is usually how I looked every morning and it was getting normal.

I glanced at the brush on the side of the bathroom sink and pondered if I should actually waste energy on picking it up and trying to brush through my jungle of hair, or just not bothering at all and put my hair in a bun. Without much thinking, I opted for the latter.

I brushed my teeth and washed my face to try waking myself up a bit, it didn't work.

I walked out my room and down the stairs to the living room, where Rowan and Lykos were sitting on the couch casually. 

Why was he always here? I internally groaned. 

They stopped talking when I entered, Lykos's eyebrows scrunching up in confusion as he saw me walk past them and into the adjoining kitchen.

"What." I bit out as I felt him continue to stare at my back.

"Nothing, it's just that you were so silent that I didn't even hear you," he said. 

And?

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" I said, pouring myself a glass of water.

"I guess. Are you flattered by it?" he said, and I could hear the smirk in his voice. God, he was insufferable, and I debated on hurting his feelings a bit more and tell him to get out the house because I didn't enjoy his presence; I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to say no. But I decided against it when I really couldn't hold a grudge against him forever; he did tell me the truth even though it took nineteen years. 

"No." I said unemotionally, finishing my drink and looking through the cupboards for a little thing to eat, as I wasn't that hungry. I took out a bar of oatmeal and began to snack on it.

"Do you want actual breakfast?" Rowan said.

"This is breakfast,"

"That's just an oatmeal."

"And?" I said.

"It won't fill you,"

"I'm not hungry." I said truthfully. I wasn't hungry enough to eat anything too big.

Once I finished my breakfast, I sauntered past them and towards the front door.

"Where are you going?" Lykos and Rowan questioned simultaneously, as I put on a big puffy coat and my boots, opening the front door.

"For a walk. Don't follow me." I called, closing the door behind me and breathing in the fresh, crisp morning air, clearing my groggy mind. I walked out of Rowan's estate and wandered aimlessly for many minutes, staring at the sky, staring at what was in front of me, just staring and thinking.

 Until I suddenly heard voices, whispers.

When I snapped my head up, and looked around I saw nothing, the voices going quiet, as if they knew I had heard them. I could feel them close by.

"Who is there?" I called out, remembering with staggering relief that there was a hidden dagger tucked into my boots. I bent down slowly keeping an eye out on my surrounding, as I slashed out the blade.