that's when I wake up - Max Verstappen

a/n: in honour of Max's win I thought I would feature him although its a sad one so my bad

word count:779

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max woke up again and instinctively reached out to your side of the bed only to be hit with the cold sheets in return

Max woke up again and instinctively reached out to your side of the bed only to be hit with the cold sheets in return. He was then again reminded that you two had broken up a few weeks ago and now he was lonely and cold in a bed that felt far too big to just have him in it.

His dream had been too real. Everything had been back the way it had always been, with you and him at races together and celebrating or just reflecting on bad races but either way he was happy to spend it with you.

This time it had been after a win. You had been partying together and danced all night and Max had never felt so happy or lucky in his life that he got to race, something he had always dreamed of, and have you by his side, the woman of his dreams. In the dream you had just gotten back to your shared apartment, the one Max now occupied alone and felt increasingly suffocated by the reminders of you, and ran upstairs to bed. He had followed you and a tickling fight had happened, just as it had after one of his actual wins and just as you were about to lean up and kiss him, to distract him from the fact he had also won the tickle fight, he had woken up.

Max sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. This had happened to him every night since you had left and he didn't know how to stop it from happening. He missed you more and more every day. He had played you leaving over and over again in his mind for hours and hours every day since you had gone and he still didn't understand how it could have ended. No one warned him that this would be his life for the considerable future as he tried to get you out of his head.

Every time he woke up this way he started over the process of trying to move on. He loses you again each morning when he wakes up to the empty bed next to him. It gets him everytime and he doesn't understand what he needs to do to either get you back or to move on. He goes back in time almost all the time back to when the two of you were beyond happy and more importantly, together.

He recalls when you left, tired of having to wait for him to get back from races and unable to come and join him because of your job. He always knew it had bothered you but he thought that how amazing you were together would persuade you that you could potentially make it work. He was very surprised then one weekend after a race he had come home and everything that belonged to you had been taken from the apartment and you were there, with tears falling, continuously apologising as you walked out of his life whilst he just sat there and watched unable to say anything.

He was suddenly snapped out of his thoughts by a knock at the door. He checked his phone and it showed that 3 am was not a normal time for someone to be round at his place. He got up and ran his fingers through his hair again, not bothering to put a shirt on, if someone was going to murder him, it was going to happen with or without a shirt.

He made his way down the stairs, consciously nervous for the first time. As he opened the door his breath hitched in his throat and a wave of relief washed over him all at once. There you stood, soaked through from the rain and shivering, still in your pajamas that you always worse, tears staining your cheeks, Max suspected that you had been having a similar experience to him the past couple of weeks.

He smiled at you warmly and that was all it took for you to fall into his arms, where you belonged. He pressed a kiss to the top of your head, happy that you had chosen to come back to him and he didn't even care that you were freezing him from the outside in. He wrapped you in a bear hug and the two of you continued to stand there, knowing there was a lot that hadn't been said but also that a lot had been said just by you turning up at his door in the middle of the night.

Max closed his eyes and pulled you closer to him. He was glad you had come home.