before you go - Charles Leclerc

A/N: So if anyone has any requests from the prompts hmu feel like i'm repeating a lot of the ones I have to think of myself lol

Word count: 587

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles was sure that he hated you. He knew he did, he had broken your heart, and you had left, breaking his heart in the process. Of course he hated you, what else could he do? Still love you? Absolutely not.

He shook his head, who was he kidding of course he still loved you. He loved everything about you. He loved the smell of your perfume that was still in the room the two of you shared. He loved that you would cook him meals, and make sure he was never late for training sessions or races. The fact that you would make it to every race, uni work never stopping you, his biggest fan, from being there in the ferrari garage, to congratulate him for winning, consoling him for losing or calming him down when the race hadn't gone to plan.

He knew why you'd broken up. You were just in different places in your lives. You wanted to settle, be in one place, have a career. He had his career that involved travelling and time apart and discipline.

He wondered if there had been too many missed calls, time difference had really impacted how often you could talk before you got to races. If he had ignored you too many times when he was out celebrating with his team, whether he or Seb had won. If you putting all your uni work aside to come and support him had caused you to not do as well as you wanted and you blamed him? If he had spent too long with his walls up, that even four years into a relationship he still had trouble telling you when something bothered him, but you always knew. You could always tell and you were always there for him when he needed you, could he say he had done the same?

In the darkness his phone suddenly lit up. It was you. Calling him. His mind raced at all the things it could be. Tentatively, he picked up.

"Hello?" he whispered.

"Hi" was all you managed to whisper back but he could already hear the tears in your voice, it sounded like you had been crying for hours and he couldn't believe he had caused it. "Sorry, this was a stupid idea" you said quickly and he was afraid you were going to hang up.

"Before you go" he said "was there something I could have said to make it all stop hurting?" he asked you, tears rising in his voice.

"I-" you sniffed, his heart continued to break as he listened to you trying to catch your breath to reply.

"Was there something I could have said to make your heart beat better?" Charles continued. He wanted to apologise for not being there for you when you needed him but he had no idea how to go about it. All he could hear instead was you trying not to cry on the phone.

Charles heard a knock at the door and he stood up carefully to answer it, ready to turn away whoever it was so that he could focus solely on you and what he needed to do to make it better.

When he opened the door, you hung up. There you were standing, tears falling continuously.

Neither of you said anything, instead he pulled you into his chest and held you tight, closing the door behind you.

You could talk later, all that mattered was that you were here, in his arms, where you belonged.