17.

| B R O O K L Y N |

"I killed that girl!" I cried, making Melissa shake her head.

"Brooklyn, we don't know that, okay? You need to calm down," Melissa said, hugging me.

My phone rang, breaking us apart. I looked at the screen to see it was Julian. I pressed the answer button before placing it to my ear.

"Brooklyn, what happened last night?" Julian asked, frantic.

"What do you mean?"

"I smelled your scent at the crime scene where that girl was killed. Isabelle and I went to check it out, and I smelled your scent. Isabelle smelled it too, but she doesn't know that it's you," Julian explained, making my whole Brody shut down.

"Aidan already knew that we knew, and he stabbed me with something to make me shift. I had no control over anything. Everything went black, and I woke up in the forest. Please tell me everybody is okay," I said, remembering that Aidan set up an attack on them.

"We're fine. Just a couple of rogues. Did Aidan set that up?"

"Yeah. He did to keep you guys away from me."

"Brooklyn, listen to me, you need to leave town for a while. It won't be long until the pack finds you, and they will kill you on sight since they think you kept Caleb in his wolf state. They won't know that you're Grayson's mate," Julian warned me, and I nodded.

"There is something else you need to know. My old pack was attacked. Carson was there looking for me. What if he comes here?" I asked Julian. I couldn't let my friends and my mate die because of me.

"We will figure everything out, but our first thing to do is get you out of town and somewhere safe for a couple of weeks," Julian said, trying to calm me down.

"This town was my safe zone."

"I have a log cabin in West Virginia you can stay at for a while. Nobody has been up there since my husband died," Melissa said, overhearing our conversation.

"That would work. Brooklyn, get packed up, and get to the bus station as fast as you can before it's too late," Julian instructed me.

I nodded,"I will. God, this is going to hurt Grayson."

"You're doing this to protect him. He'll understand one day," Melissa said, turning off the tv.

"I got to go. Call me when you out of Florida. Bye Brooklyn," Julian said before the phone call ended.

I put my phone on the table before running to my room. Once I entered my room, I grabbed a suitcase. I put whatever my hands touched into the suitcase. If I was going to leave town, I need to do it now.

I was almost done when my phone dinged. I looked to see Grayson messaged me.

Grayson: I'm sorry about last night. Can I make it up with lunch at the diner?

I blinked back tears as the thought of leaving Grayson flashed across my mind. I'm doing this to protect him, I told myself over and over.