Chapter 1

"Oi look at this book dude." Cassie called out to me with a disgusted look on her face. In between her thumb and forefinger was dangling a purple, disheveled book that looked like it had been dragged through the disease-ridden trenches of WWI. "Catch!"

My eyes widened in shock but then distorted in disgust when I saw the filthy projectile coming my way.

What the hell, why was there such a dirty book in this library, surely it was a violation of some kind of public cleanliness law?

Whilst I was deep in thought the book was already headed towards my face and with no other choice I reached up and grabbed it mid-air.

"Nice catch!" Cassie whisper-shouted from across the aisle giving me two thumbs-ups and then speed-walking away to avoid the book being thrown back at her. Even whilst breaking the rules in the library she refused to break the rules in the library.

"Oh! You picked out a really good book." The librarian's cart pulled up next to me and a look of delight graced her normally stiff face. Eh? No way, right? How could this be a good book?

"Hmm... But if they read this in the trenches surely it would be a good read, I mean with enemies..." I mumbled to myself in deep thought as the librarian rolled the cart away from me. "Hmm..."

I mean my hands were already infested with whatever bacteria this book contained so there's no harm in reading it, right? I was wrong, oh dude was I wrong, there was big harm in reading this book and I regret all the decisions in my life that brought me to this moment.

The premise of the book was pretty much your standard romance. There was the damsel in distress heroine, that princely male lead, but the second lead was a bit of a psychopath. Then there was the saving grace of the book, the prince's best friend, the Lancelot with the cute face and kind eyes. He was just an incorruptible cinnamon roll who was kind to everyone. I would probably read the book just for his small role.

Let's see what happens to you in the end cinnamon roll, shall we? I thought as I flipped towards the end of the book. Shoot me if you must, but I needed to do this to save myself disappointment.

"No way! Why the hell?" I mumble-screamed whilst slamming the book closed.

How dare the author do this? Why does he have to be sacrificed for the male lead? The male lead's better off dead! End this like Romeo and Juliet, that would be a much better ending. Stupid villain, at least aim right and shoot the idiot target. You suck, why didn't you let the bullet avoid my precious cinnamon? The least you could do was shoot the male lead on your way to hell, so at least some justice is served for our little cinnamon roll.

God damn it, where's the authors name on this book?  I'm going to write their name and stick it in a voodoo doll and stomp on it. If I ever see you on the street, you better watch your back lady or mister.

I was about to put the book back on the shelf when my head began pounding. And by pounding I mean like imagine a jackhammer plus an earthquake plus leaning your head on a bus window kind of pounding.

"Ow..." I dropped the book and crouched down, resting my head between my knees as I tried to prevent myself from passing out from the pain.

"Fo... half a million... I..." I could barely make out the words that were being spoken, but it definitely didn't sound like a conversation you would hold in a library.

The headache faded but was quickly replaced by the feeling of falling. Then with a huge thump I landed on something solid.

An oomph sounded beside my ear causing my eyes to shoot open. I dazedly looked around trying to gather my bearings only to find I was in a completely unfamiliar setting... And currently sprawled over the lap of a fully grown man. His blue eyes were narrowed in suspicion and cold with rage.