Chapter 39

*Luther's POV*
I looked down to see Autumn staring at her hands, while occasionally peeking up at me.

"Just what in the world were you thinking?... Were you even thinking at all?" My voice came out in almost a whisper as I struggled to keep my rage from boiling over.

Shouting wouldn't work, it just makes her worse. Her face morphed as a pained expression overcame her.

"I-I..." She stuttered out, looking utterly confused about how she would explain it and it only served to anger me more. I took a few breaths in an attempt to quell my anger before sitting down beside her.

"I thought we went over everything last week? Didn't I say I would help you remember?" I asked while staring at her, trying to figure out what the hell led her to this.

I can't understand, she was perfectly fine last time we met what went so wrong that she thought she should do something so stupid? Where did she even get a gun in a hospital?

"I-We did. I do but Luther, what if you can't remember? What if you start losing your memories too? What if I end up killing everyone?" Her eyes darted all over the place in panic as she seemed to be recalling something.

"K-Kill?" I spluttered out in shocked "Where the hell did that come from?" Why would she think she has to kill people? Who would she have to kill, for what reason? My thoughts were muddled as I looked into her somewhat crazed eyes.

"H-He told me that I'd go crazy. [[go stupid efjklrvgf, sorry had to do it we will now carry on with our regularly scheduled broadcast]] He said that I'd keep losing myself if I carried on loving this world. He said he had to kill his loved one so he could keep his immortality. I started missing my immortality too. What if, what if, just what if..." She hesitated before continuing with great reluctance. "... I kill everyone I care about so I can become normal?" Her voice shook with emotion as tears welled up in her eyes again and an image of her on my first meeting flashed.

The her from then and the her now... She was completely broken.

But then I finally registered her words and my rage from earlier finally boiled over.

"He said... He had to kill her to keep being immortal?" Her words struck a chord deep within me when I finally realised who it was that caused her to become this way.

"Yes, I don't want to do that. Please, please let me do it." She begged me as her cheeks began wetting with tears.

What the hell is she talking about? She would never do something so dumb, does she really not know anything about herself that she thinks she would fall so low? She's nothing like that man... or me.

"No! Look at me, look at me properly." I gripped her chin tightly and forced her to finally look up at me properly. Although, her eyes were still clouded with confusion and panic. "You will not become that person, okay? You are not selfish like that person. Look even now you decided to do something so dumb just so you wouldn't harm anyone. You said your mum raised you a pacifist, right? Your morals aren't as twisted as his." I tried to soothe her but it seemed to have had the opposite effect.

"My mum raised me a pacifist? Why can't I remember that? What else did I forget? He said the more things I forgot the more I'd become like him. He said that he wasn't all that bad before but after he started losing his memories he became that monster. I'll be the same, I'll be that monster too." She was speaking breathlessly now and seemed to be losing her grip on herself.