Chapter 45

"Why do you have to go to the hospital every week?" Luther's question was followed by a few coughs.

"Why are you coughing so much? You too much of a cheapskate to pay for heating nowadays or something?" It was winter there, but shouldn't a man who holds a majority of the wealth in Belsgrave be safe from these kinds of issues? Like, I swear he has a personal doctor. And the villain shouldn't be able to catch a cold, isn't that like the fourth step in becoming a villain?

"Something like that." Luther answered mysteriously making my brows pinch together in confusion. "Are you going to the hospital today too? Aren't you going way too much?" He asked between coughs, slightly slurring his words as he spoke.

"Oi, are you okay? Why do you sound like that, are you sick? Where's Alec and Benjamin shouldn't they be looking after their friend?" A peculiar feeling began to grow in my stomach and my heart started to ache slightly at the thought of him being sick.

"I don't know..." His breathing became heavier and heavier and I felt helpless listening to him struggle.

"What do I do? What do I d-" My thoughts halted to a stop completely as I saw a familiar silhouette up above. I shook my head, reprimanding myself for my outlandish thoughts. "Luther, are you still there? Call the ambulance or your private doctor or something." I raised my voice at my phone in fear of the fact that he might be losing consciousness and not hear me.

"I can he... ar you, I'm fine." His words came out in short gasps and he seemed to be really ill.

I bumped into the dazed man in front of me as I hurried my pace.

I can't even do anything from here.

Before I had even passed the man he suddenly knocked into me, my arms reflexively reached out to catch him.

"What are you d-" The shock as I looked more closely at his limp form had me stop talking immediately.

"L-Luther?" I exclaimed incredulously, how could that be possible?

It's probably just a look alike, right?

This random guy just fainted on me. What if he's part of the crime syndicate in London? Is he gonna mug me? I should just leave him here.

My heart softened slightly as I looked at this doppelgänger's flushed face and heard his laboured breaths.

"I'm going to the hospital anyways." I reasoned as I dragged him towards the hospital, taking a break to catch my breath every so often.

"Luther? Luther, are you still there?" I all but shouted down the phone but realised he had cut off the call. When I tried ringing back I jumped at the sound coming from the man in my arms. I shook him in an attempt to wake him and tell him to answer his phone but he was completely faded.

"What if it's important?" I closed my eyes tightly making a decision, before grabbing the phone out of his hands . I leaned him against my back while trying to answer his phone. "A-Autumn?" I blinked rapidly but decided to treat it as a coincidence. Because there was no possible way from the man in my arms to be Luther. It just wouldn't make sense!

... I hung up my phone and saw the call on his phone had been cancelled too. Then I tried it again, and again and again until I realised it was my number. 

"H-how?" I stared at the phones in shock and then shook the unconscious man as hard as I could. "W-wake up. Wake up." I was screaming hysterically at this point, well aware I must have looked like a crazy woman but... But I couldn't understand what was happening.

My knees weakened and I flopped to the ground, his body coming down with me. I was sitting there exhausted, the shock coupled with my already weakened disposition left me unable to stand.