Chapter 37

"If I remember clearly it was around 2001 when I took a ride on the London Eye with a friend, it had finally opened to the public for rides. It was probably a few pounds to go on one trip but we..." He talked and talked about where he was born and raised and I felt a weird sensation in the back of my head.

"Where's London?" I interrupted him as I realised why I had a weird feeling. I had never heard of a capital city called London before.

"On a little island called England. It's quite close to France." He answered looking ready to resume his story.

"F-France?" I asked dazedly as a headache began making its way through my scalp.

"Oui, you never heard of Paris the city of love?" He tilted his head and asked seemingly confused as I stood up from the sofa and began moving away.

"Wait, give me a sec." I tried to massage my forehead in an attempt to soothe the throbbing pain burning my forehead.

"What about Spain? You heard of Barcelona? Norway? Netherlands? Europe? Africa?" He kept asking while slowly approaching me.

"No!" I yelled while backing away from him. The more he spoke the more the pain from my headache grew.

"Are you sure? You've got a South London accent, it's very different from the guys in this book." He asked while backing me into a wall.

"B-book?" I asked feeling my stomach drop and when he stepped aside I hunched over to hurl.

"Yep, I have a feeling you're not from here. Call it a hunch, call it whatever but I just know you're not from here. So where you from? Croydon? Lewisham? No, you look more like a Bexley kind of girl." He pulled me away from the pool of vomit and towards him as he stared into my eyes.

"I-I think I'm from Kingston." I stuttered out involuntarily.

"There you go!" He laughed as he twirled me around before setting me down. "Do you remember now?"

"Yeah... I remember." I mumbled as I shakily made it back to my bed.

"Oh my god, ever since I've come here I couldn't find anyone like me. What year was it when you came here? I came here in 2005 and it's been 20 or so years. How's the future there? Flying cars been made yet?..." He assaulted me with a flurry of words and questions most of which I couldn't remember.

"It was 2020... No flying cars, we've got electric cars though. Planets still dying..." I answered unsteadily as I tried to deal with the aftermath of that headache.

"Wow... Electric cars." He looked amazed as he sat beside me on the bed. "Do you miss it?" He turned to look at me so he could gauge my response.

"Of course I miss it."

"I've got to go." He stood up abruptly while glancing at his watch before hurriedly leaving.

His exits are always out of nowhere, like we were literally in the middle of a conversation.

Then a week later he came and we talked and he forced me to remember. Then he came again, more frequently from then on.

"... Do you want to go back?" He suddenly asked mid-way between our conversation.

I was momentarily silent, slightly confused about what he was talking about but then it clicked.

Did I want to go home? Yes, of course I did but I haven't been given any clues on how I would go about it.

"The periods between your memory loss are getting shorter and shorter and every time you tell me details you keep missing out more and more detail. I think at this rate the life you lived before will be completely erased." He explained while pacing back and forth within the hospital room.