Chapter 42

I shakily slid my hand down towards Luther's arm wrapping my fingers around the gun held in his hand.

"No! That's not how you go back." His clammy hand refused to let go of the gun but he was already weakened beyond the point where he could put up a fight.

I wrenched it from his grip looking up at the man who was only a step away, staring at us with a crazed smile.

"You still want to go back?" He laughed ripping me out from Luther's grip and standing me upright. "Good girl, just listen to me. When you go back you won't have to see what follows." He whispered by my ear positioning the gun in my hand towards my head.

"Alice, no!" Samuel cried out from where he lay, incapacitated with blood dripping from his mouth.

Luther's hoarse voice sounded simultaneously echoing a similar message.

"Hehe." The man behind me was giddy with joy as he watched the show play out.

"Don't touch me." I pushed his hand away in disgust.

"Oh, of course I wouldn't want to take away from your special moment." He laughed while taking a step back with his hands up in surrender.

I'm the only one...

I swivelled around emptying my head and aiming for him, shooting before I could convince myself otherwise.

His body dropped to the ground with a loud resounding thud, followed by two metallic clangs.

My legs softened dropping me to the ground and I stared vacantly ahead at the bloodied corpse in front of me.

"Alice, Alice come on get up." Samuel rubbed my back as he tried to pick me up off the ground but all I could see was the blood seeping down his mouth and his chest.

"Were those gun shots? What the hell is going on?" Alec and Benjamin rushed inside with flushed and sweat-drenched faces.

"Luther!" They rushed over to his limp body checking for some sort of life.

"Ahhh." I screamed with tears dripping down my face as my eyes focused on the bloodied Luther. "Ahhh... hrrk, no."

I don't want to be here anymore. I don't want to see it. My pulse thumped in my head and the pain forced me to inhale short, shaky breaths.

Then everything around me darkened with my eyes rolling to the back of my skull. And then when I finally regained consciousness I was met with a familiar face.

"Oh my god." My mum's tear streaked and tired face came into view and she stared at me, dumbfounded.

"M... um?" A hoarse voice crackled out of me and a single tear crawled down my cheek. Then a torrent of tears fell as she hugged me tightly.

"Autumn." She mumbled into my hair as she stroked it. "I... I reall-" Her choked voice was cut off by sobs, her chest shook as she tightened her grip on me.

The warmth of her arms caused more tears to fall for some reason.We stayed there in the hospital room hugging for what seemed like hours but was probably minutes before a doctor came rushing in.

"Miss. Adams you are truly lucky to be alive." He checked my heart rate, blood pressure and temperature. "We'll let you rest before discussing your condition any further." He sent me a comforting smile before leaving the room with the nurses.

"What happened?" I was still slightly confused about why I was in the hospital in the first place. I remember being in the library with Cassie and then having a really bad headache...

It seemed like I had fainted in the library and fell into a coma for a year. My heart had stopped around nine times randomly during the year and they had struggled to keep me alive.

"Seriously?" My eyes drifted from the doctor to my mum and a barely hidden tone of disbelief could be heard. "But I was completely healthy, how could I randomly fall into a year long coma?"

Does that even make sense?

"We struggled to find a reason for your comatose state. Your vitals and the like were fine but would at seemingly random intervals become almost fatal. We'll keep you in for monitoring and have follow up appointments after your discharge just to make sure you're completely safe." The doctor debriefed me, his eyes held a sense wonder in them as he looked from me to the notes.

"Thank you, doctor." My mum's tired voice sounded and she sent a weak smile towards him as he left.

"Has it seriously been a year?" I threw a suspicious glance towards the calendar by my bedside and then turned towards her.

"Yes... we didn't even get to celebrate your birthday this year." She yawned, slumping down in her chair.

"Yeah we did, I remember having a party." Her brows furrowed in confusion at my response and she shook her head saying it wasn't possible.

Huh?

A/N: Short chapppppie