Chapter 1 - The Wedding

Mallika POV

I smoothed my dress (see pic above) and tilted my head to my left, staring at myself in the mirror. I sighed and walked around the room trying to find my heels and jewellery to go with the dress. I wished I didn't have to go, but oh well. I quickly put on my shoes and necklace then hurried to apply some mascara and a nude lipstick. My phone started vibrating on the table seconds after I had put the lipstick down. It was my best friend, Kira.

"Are you done?? I'm just outside your house!!" she exclaimed at the other end of the line.
"Yes, I'll be right there in a second!" I replied back then hurriedly shoved my phone into my clutch.

Once in the car, Kira gave me a weird look as though trying to show her sympathy.
"Stop giving me that look, I'm okay. Really!!" I said with a small smile.

She then started the car and I looked out the window thinking about how ridiculous my life was.

So to sum it all up. Today is Jay's wedding. Who's Jay, you ask? My ex. Yeah that's right I'm invited to my ex's wedding. Does it hurt? Not really because we had promised to remain friends. Is it weird though?! Hell yess because his girlfriend, well fiancée now, doesn't know about our past. We had made some sort of truce to remain friends even after we break up. So me going to the wedding was just me honoring the friendship we had. Anyway Kira and I are heading to that wedding right now. I'm really dreading it because of how guilty I feel.

Somewhere deep down I still feel bad that it didn't work out for us but on the other hand I'm also hopeful that maybe there's something better in store for me. Life's not going to be that bad, well, I hope it isn't. With that thought, I look out the window and see that we've already arrived at the wedding venue. I check my face in the mirror for the last time, step out of the car and smooth my dress. Kira and I walk with our arms linked because I didn't trust myself with heels.

As soon as we reached there, I went ahead and got myself some of the snacks that were being served as I was starving. Kira, on the other hand, went to find drinks for us.

While she was gone, I started looking around to see the decorations. I had to admit, it looked pretty grand almost like a low budget royal wedding. Everything was white and gold in color. There were bouquets at every entrance. It was perfect. It was an outdoor wedding. They had set up a small tent with a little bar at the back and a table lined up with snacks next to it.

I was admiring the scenery when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned and my eyes widened at what I saw.