10

Chapter Ten: Return to the Paternal Home

"Old Taitai, there is no need to be so courteous." Xian Junwang reached out a hand to falsely hold her up, refused Yi'an Marquis' request to sit at the front, and made a bow of a junior towards Yi'an Marquis and Lu shi. Then he sat down on the first chair on the left.

Lu shi's attention had turned to her daughter early on, and she saw that her complexion was good and all her jewelry was items that the junwang fu had prepared for her. She knew that Xian Junwang was taking great care of her, and it eased some of her worry.

Hua Xi Wan bowed towards the elders in the family, and the elders made a half-bow back. Looking at her parents half-bowing back to her, she felt extremely uncomfortable. She went forward to grip Lu shi's hand and suppressed the soreness she felt in her nose. "Father, Mother, what are you doing?"

As her mother, Lu shi could not bear for Hua Xi Wan to be unhappy, and stood up with Hua Xi Wan's grip. She pulled Hua Xi Wan to sit next to her and turned to see that Xian Junwang was talking with her husband. She smiled and said, "You men talk, and us women will not crowd with you. We'll go chat inside."

Yan Jin Qiu turned and saw Lu shi and Hua Xi Wan's hands together. He naturally would not object. Yi'an Marquis knew his wife missed his daughter greatly and that mother and daughter would have private things to say, so he allowed them to go.

After the old taitai and the women all went inside the compound, Yi'an Marquis said with a smile, "This lowly official has heard that Xian Junwang is skilled in poetry, and is very interested as well. Junwang, please guide this lowly official."

"Mount Tai is too serious; this son-in-law just knows a sparse amount," Yan Jin Qiu said humbly. "If Mount Tai does not look down, this son-in-law is willing to admire poetry with you."

"Junwang Ye should not be modest." Yi'an Marquis' smile did not change. He stood up and said, "Why don't we go to the study and talk."

"Mount Tai, please." Even though he could not see anything from Yi'an Marquis' face, Yan Jin Qiu found that this Yi'an Marquis was more cunning than the rumors said, and much calmer.

As Lu shi and Hua Xi Wan entered the inner compound, Lu shi impatiently asked, "Xi Wan, how is Xian Junwang—is he good to you?"

Looking at her mother's restless state, Hua Xi Wan reached to push her mother's hairpin back into her hair and supported her to sit down. "The junwang fu has very good protocol. Junwang does not have any tongfang or shiqie and is very considerate towards me. Mother, do not worry too much for me. The season is shifting from spring to summer, and the weather changes quickly. You and Father need to pay more attention to your health."

"There are so many servants in the fu, I won't freeze or starve." Lu shi carelessly waved a hand. When she heard that the junwang fu did not have any tongfang or shiqie, her mood had improved. She turned back and saw the old taitai and her second sister-in-law, Zhang shi, and third sister-in-law, Yao shi. She said in a low tone by Hua Xi Wan's ear, "Some matter has occurred to your second aunt's family. Do not talk too much to her later."

Today was a good day, the day her daughter returned to visit. She didn't want to ruin the mood. They could call her selfish or void of fraternal feeling, but in her heart, her sons and daughter were always in first place. Moreover, while her family was close to Second Uncle's family, it did not mean that she had to treat her second sister-in-law well. These years, her sister-in-law had relied on the fact that she came from a famed family, the Zhang Clan, and postured before the Hua Family. Even though it had not occurred directly in front of her, she knew that there was talking going on behind her.