27

Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Difference

As though she had detected that something was wrong with Hua Yi Liu's mood, Hua Chu Yu said, "Tang Jie, your cloud hairpins are very unique—which craftsman made them?"

"Really, I feel the color is a bit plain." Hua Yi Liu forced a smile and touched the silver hairpins in her hair. "Are they really good-looking?"

"En, they are very suited to your skin color." Hua Chu Yu nodded and then looked at Hua Xi Wan. "Xi Wan, don't you think so?" She did not know that Hua Xi Wan already knew about the matter of Master Zhou, so she gave a special look.

"Second Tang Jie is right," Hua Xi Wan said with admiration in her voice. "Even I want to copy you and order a set, but I'm just worried I will not look as good as you with them."

"Xi Wan, you are naturally beautiful; you do not need these outside objects to increase your light." Hua Yi Liu's expression became much better and her voice became more energetic. "Before I came to the marquis fu today, Mother told me to thank you. Because of my maternal uncle's case, it caused Xian Junwang to be suspected. Mother feels great guilt and asks Xi Wan for forgiveness."

"No need." Hua Xi Wan smiled as she had the servants replace two plates of pastries for her cousins. "We are one family—there is no need to say courtesies."

When Hua Chu Yu heard Hua Yi Liu's words, she finally learned that Second Aunt had pulled Xian Junwang Fu into the matter for the Zhang Family. No wonder Mother had been full of schadenfreude the past days, saying that Second Uncle and Second Aunt were fighting. It was probably because of this. As a junior, she should not judge what Second Aunt did, but when she thought about how Hua Xi Wan had been pulled in, she couldn't help but say, "It is fortunate that Xian Junwang is generous. It would not be good if he was angry with Xi Wan because of this."

Hearing the intention to blame in Hua Chu Yu's voice, the smile on Hua Yi Liu's face instantly froze. "Only you know to worry about Xi Wan. Then in the past, who caused Xi Wan to become ill and have to stay in bed for a few months?"

When Hua Chu Yu heard this, she wanted to argue that if it wasn't Hua Yi Liu who had bumped into her, how would she have fallen into the pond and caused Xi Wan to go into the water to save her? But thinking how rare it was for Xi Wan to make a visit, she did not want to make the atmosphere tense, so she suppressed the anger inside.

"Elder Tang Jie really has a good memory. You still remember what happened so many years ago." Hua Xi Wan put down the teacup in her hand and said sardonically, "I almost do not remember how that happened. Was it because you bumped into Second Tang Jie? Or did Second Tang Jie slip?"

Hua Yi Liu's lips trembled. A moment later, she laughed dryly. "I do not remember it clearly."

Hua Chu Yu laughed lightly and did not say anything. But the personal servant girls of the misses all knew what this light laugh meant. The two servant girls who served Hua Yi Liu unconsciously bowed their heads.

Hua Yi Liu's expression did not change, but she felt a burst of hatred. She was sitting here to be the laughingstock for Hua Xi Wan and Hua Chu Yu. She wanted to leave, but because she had to consider Hua Xi Wan's identity, she had to smile.

"I remember you always have a difficult time in the summer. How has your sleep and appetite been recently?" Hua Chu Yu was too lazy to argue with Hua Yi Liu and decided to ignore her. She put all of her attention on Hua Xi Wan. "Are the servants in Junwang Fu serving you well?"

"The servants are good, and Junwang Fu has strict etiquette. They do not dare to slack off." Hua Xi Wan clapped her hands. "Speaking of that, I discover I have forgotten something. A few days ago, I found some rare copies of poem collections in the fu. I thought you would like them, so I had people copy them for you. Later, I will have Bai Xia give them to your servant girls."