74

Chapter Seventy-Four: Henpecked

The people behind bars saw Yan Jin Qiu appear, and terror rose in their eyes. It was as though the one who came in was not a handsome nobleman but a soul reaper from hell.

A manservant who had been committing torture hurriedly threw away the whip dripping with blood when he saw Yan Jin Qiu appear, and went forward to bow.

The manservant behind Yan Jin Qiu quickly set up a table and a chair, and then stood behind Yan Jin Qiu with his gaze focused in one spot. He seemed to not smell the rot and blood filling the prison.

"Has someone confessed?" Yan Jin Qiu raised his teacup and idly blew on the steam coming off. Then he took a sip and said, "Last time, you managed to let someone escape and even caused Wang Fei to be wounded. Ben wang is very unhappy right now."

The manservant who guarded the jail changed expression. He knelt down, ignoring the dirty water on the ground, but did not dare to raise his head to plead for mercy.

The room became silent. Yan Jin Qiu swept his eyes across the menservants. He brushed the cover of the teacup across the surface. A moment later, he pointed to two menservants kneeling in the corner. "Take them away."

The two menservants wanted to speak out and plead for mercy, but their mouths were gagged and they were pulled away.

"Do not act in front of ben wang." Yan Jin Qiu put down the teacup. His eyes became sharp. "Whoever is tired of living, ben wang doesn't mind sending them on their journey."

If Xi Wan had not been clever last time, he didn't know how much trouble would have been caused. He didn't know how much Hua Xi Wan knew, but she had not asked questions in the past few days. She wasn't curious about the secret under his study, as though she had really been the target of an assassination and did not hear any secrets regarding him.

He had thought about the responses Hua Xi Wan might have, like fury, curiosity, or dislike of him. But all of his guesses missed. This surprised him, and also pleased him. There were countless women in the world, but only she was so special in his eyes.

"Since these people are not willing to confess, then they do not have to speak. There's no use for their tongues," Yan Jin Qiu said with a cold smile. "These people prey on my Xian Wang Fu being weak; ben wang naturally has to treat them well."

A while later, screams came from the prison. He looked on coldly. When the servant presented the cut off tongues in front of him, he glanced over the bloodied tongues. "Since these are things that came off them, then they should take care of them. Ben wang hopes that by the next visit, these people will have confessed in writing. Otherwise, their hands are useless."

The ones who had their tongues cut off rolled on the ground in pain. When they heard his words, they didn't dare to move. They retreated to the corners and trembled. When their tongues were thrown in front of them, their terror reached a peak. They covered their heads and didn't dare to look.

Walking out of the underground prison, Yan Jin Qiu bathed before walking towards the main yard with his hair down. When he walked into Hua Xi Wan's room, the nurse was changing the dressing for Hua Xi Wan. Seeing him come in, everyone in the room bowed.

"There's no need for courtesy." Yan Jin Qiu walked next to Hua Xi Wan, still slightly damp, and carefully lifted her arm. Before, he had only seen Hua Xi Wan when her arm had already been bandaged. Only now did he see how deep the wound was.

While it had been a few days, the wound was still swollen. It was the length of a hand and seemed exceptionally ugly on that pale and perfect arm. The thread sewing the wound shut had been dyed by blood into a red-black color. The original color could not be seen. However, he felt great pain just looking at it.