36

Chapter Thirty-Six: Fake Gentleman

The matter of Xian Junwang Fei being wounded by the Imperial Brother-in-law who let his horse run amok quickly spread through all of Jing. Because the Imperial Brother-in-law had been arrogant in his conduct before, many people had been discontent with him. Now they heard this person had done something even more outrageous: he had shocked Xian Junwang Fei's carriage and wounded Xian Junwang Fei's forehead, which caused Xian Junwang to be extremely distressed.hey also heard that when the Imperial Brother-in-law went to apologize, he had looked down on others and when he left the junwang fu, he even kicked the stone lion at the gates. This was extremely outrageous and meant that he even looked down on the people of the Imperial Family.

The stone lions represented the face of a family. Families without status could not put out stone lions. Even if they did, there were many details and protocols. This Imperial Brother-in-law was great. He carelessly kicked another family's prestige. What was this if not arrogant?

Among the prestigious families, the Fang Family was a noble one that only rose up because of their daughter. Calling the Fang Family "nobility" was due to the Emperor and the Crown Prince. Otherwise, no one would even look at a family like this that had no manners.

There were no secrets in Jing. Everyone saw Fang Cheng De's speech and actions. The Imperial Family members in Jing felt that Fang Cheng De had gone over the line, and were dissatisfied with both the Fang Clan and the Empress. Right now, the memorandums that were criticizing the Fang Family increased, but Qi Long Emperor had pushed all of them down. This caused the members of the Imperial Family to be even more discontent. Right now, this Imperial Brother-in-law dared to treat Xian Junwang so. When the Crown Prince succeeded the throne in the future, how would they—these members of the Imperial Family who couldn't be considered as prominent—live? could the members of the Imperial Family such as they who did not have such high status life? Would they have to live under the power of the Fang Family? Where would the respect and dignity of the Imperial House be?

Maybe it was because he knew that the Imperial Family members were dissatisfied with this matter that Qi Long Emperor sent a decree in front of the court punishing Fang Cheng De a few days later. The decree did not mention what the Fang Family had done in the background, only criticizing Fang Cheng De for letting his horse run free and harming the innocent. He was sentenced to losing his wages for three years, and was demoted from a first rank marquis to a third rank marquis. He was ordered to reflect inside his home and could not leave the compound.

This decree was very strict at first impression, but if one thought carefully, they would find that this was really nothing. Fang Cheng De still had the marquis title. Even if he was demoted in rank, it would just take a few words from the Emperor to restore his previous rank.

This kind of punishment would not be as pleasing as beating Fang Cheng De in front of the palace a few dozen times. The Emperor's actions were just done to act for those common people who did not understand politics, and were not an explanation for the Imperial House.

Yan Jin Qiu was not surprised at all by the Emperor's decree. Because no matter how capable the Emperor was, he had a fatal weakness—the Crown Prince. The Crown Prince was not a wise person, was proud and greedy. But he was the only son of the Emperor. The Fang Family was the maternal family of the Crown Prince. If the Fang Family fell, then if the Crown Prince succeeded the throne, he would have a hard time in the future. So the Emperor had to protect the Fang Family because the Fang Family was the Crown Prince's maternal family and on his side. Fang Cheng De was useless, but his two children, just over ten years old, were hardworking and intelligent. When the Crown Prince succeeded the throne, they would be at an age when they could enter the court and would be good helpers for the Crown Prince.