15

Chapter Fifteen: Crown Princess

There was actually someone who asked this question at the palace banquet. Was this to make trouble for Xian Junwang Fei, or for the Emperor who had decreed the marriage? No matter what the rumors were, the Emperor "did not know." He had decreed a marriage under the identity of an elder and out of consideration for Xian Junwang who did not have any parents. If the people in the Imperial House knew of the rumors outside, didn't it mean they were accusing the Emperor of making terrible matches?

Hua Xi Wan raised her head to look at the person who had spoken. It was a matron with white skin and slightly heavyset. The gold hairpins in her hair flashed brightly and added a noble and intimidating air to the matron.

"Is Li Yao Furen talking about how the outside speaks of how Junwang Ye treats qie well?" When she said this, Hua Xi Wan's face was bashful. "Junwang Ye does treat qie well."

The matron's husband, Count Jing Ping's grandfather had been a junwang. After three generations, they had barely managed to keep their title of count. This was only because the man's son was favored by the Emperor, so the Emperor had promoted him from third-rank count to first-rank count. This family could only be considered poor imperial relatives compared to the grandness of Xian Junwang Fu. This Jing Ping Countess's hairpins were clearly common, and the style was that from several years ago. If this was in an average prestigious family, the hairpins would be melted down to new styles and then bestowed to servant girls to play with.

Countess Jing Ping hadn't expected Hua Xi Wan to agree with the rumors. She opened her mouth and wanted to say that this wasn't what she was asking about, but then she saw the people in the surroundings had strange expressions. Even the people who were on good relations with her were giving her looks. She was unwilling but she couldn't keep pressing.

This world never lacked people without brains, even in the Imperial Family. Hua Xi Wan saw Countess Jing Ping back down, and was too lazy to argue with her in this kind of setting. She pretended nothing had happened, smiled at everyone looking at her, and then lowered her head.

This smile caused many people to inhale sharply. Some men who liked beauty even thought that, if Hua Xi Wan smiled at them alone, they would be willing to do anything she wanted.

"Drink some digestive tea for your stomach." Yan Jin Qiu raised his wide sleeve and reached out to pour tea for Hua Xi Wan. It also covered half of the stares in this direction. His actions were flowing, and the tea drew out an elegant curve in the air before it accurately poured into the cup. Not a drop was spilled.

Hua Xi Wan picked up the teacup. Even though the tea was still steaming, the cup gave off a feeling of coolness in her hand. She took a sip before putting down the teacup, and looked outside the hall. "The time is late." This was the time for her sleep.

Yan Jin Qiu realized what Hua Xi Wan was thinking about and said in a low voice by her ear, "It will end soon."

Hua Xi Wan smiled and imperceptibly tilted her head to move her ear further away from Yan Jin Qiu's mouth.

Yan Jin Qiu looked at her pearl-in-cage earring as he smiled and poured a cup of wine for himself.

As Yan Jin Qiu had predicted, fifteen minutes later, the three most noble people in the Imperial Palace left quickly one after the other. Since the hosts had left, the guests only sat for a while longer before making their farewells.

Just as Hua Xi Wan and Yan Jin Qiu were about to get on the carriage, an inner palace attendant rushed and knelt in front of the two with a sandalwood box. "Greetings to Xian Junwang, Xian Junwang Fei. This servant is a personal attendant of the Crown Prince Fu, Yang Neng. The Crown Princess saw you and instantly felt you were like an old friend, so she specially ordered this servant to deliver some playthings to Xian Junwang Fei."