41

Chapter Forty-One: Laurel Flower Wine

A burst of light footsteps came outside the door. When Zhou Furen heard this, she put down the tea in her hand and stood. A short while later, she saw Xian Wang Fei come in with several beautiful servant girls. There was a small smile on her face, but no one dared to underestimate her.

"This old woman greets Xian Wang Fei." Before Zhou Furen could complete her curtsey, she was held up by Hong Ying.

"Zhou Furen doesn't have to be so courteous." Hua Xi Wan sat down at the front and indicated for the servant girls to switch out the guests' tea. "There are many things going on in the fu these last few days, and I am one without ability. I have been busy up until now and has caused Furen to wait for a long time. I really cannot let this pass."

"Wang Fei is too humble. The elevation of Wang Ye is a major event, and naturally there are many matters." Zhou Furen was sitting properly, but her back was slightly bent to show a respectful attitude. "If it were anyone else, they would be in a panic right now. This old woman sees that the servants in the fu have quick hands and feet, and are very composed. It can bee seen that Wang Fei is virtuous but is afraid that we will be ashamed, so you are purposefully being humble."

"I cannot accept such great praise from Zhou Furen." Hua Xi Wan's gaze swept across Hua Yi Liu. She saw the other was slightly thinner than before her marriage and her complexion was slightly pale. She saw that Miss Zhou, sitting beside the other, had a pink complexion which caused Hua Yi Liu to seem even more pale. "Has Eldest Sister been well recently?"

"Thanks to Wang Fei for asking. Everything is well." Hua Yi Liu jerked out a smile and responded. However, there was no energy in her eyes, and she seemed as ancient as a woman of fifty and sixty.

Zhou Furen saw this and her heart jumped. She knew that her son had gone over the line, but she only had this one son. She did not bear to restrict him but was afraid that Xian Wang Fei would be angry.

"Eldest Sister seems thinner—should I invite a grand doctor to take your pulse?" Hua Xi Wan's brow furrowed slightly, and then she said in a helpless tone towards Zhou Furen, "Tang Jie has the gentlest of personalities, and does not like seeing the doctor usually. Furen, please teach her more. As the younger sister, my words have no weight. However, this older sister is a filial one. If Furen speaks, she will definitely listen."

Zhou Furen said with a normal smile, "Wang Fei is right. My erxi's appetite has decreased recently, and this old woman has been worried. With Wang Fei's urgings, this old woman will have less worries." Even though she said this, her hand that held the teacup tensed.

"It is erxi's wrong to worry Mother-in-law." Hua Yi Liu smiled at Zhou Furen and then looked with a complex gaze at Hua Xi Wan. Thinking about her younger brother who had not yet attended the fall examination, her lips moved, but in the end, she did not say a word.

Zhou Furen saw her acting like this and was satisfied inside. Then she turned her head and said, "When I heard of the joyous matter for the fu, this old woman has come to give good wishes. Please, Wang Fei, forgive us for disturbing you."

"Furen is being too polite in saying this." Hua Xi Wan elegantly blew on the steam rising from the tea and then said, "You are an in-law of my Hua Family, so we are technically relatives. We should not say such courteous things."

Zhou Furen went with the flow and gave a few flattering words regarding Xian Wang Fu. Then somehow, the topic turned to the examinations. "The next year will be a Spring Examination Year again. I wonder how many famous people and scholars will come to Jing."