88

Chapter Eighty-Eight: Death of a Phoenix

"Do you not have any blood on your hands?" The Empress smiled unconcernedly. "Now that your wings are fully grown, you bribed one of my people to poison the Empress Dowager and caused me to be imprisoned. I will admit that I am not as skilled as you, but you do not need to act so tragic. We are all on the same path, and you are not much cleaner than I am."

Lin shi's smile froze slightly and then she said, "You can only win verbally now. I will let you see how the entire Fang Family falls!"

The lack of concern on the Empress' face finally disappeared. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing." Lin shi listened to the sound of thunder outside and giggled. "The thunder is really pleasing to the ear. Empress, enjoy the last days of being the empress in jail. Maybe not long in the future, you will not be the empress but a criminal consort."

The Empress reached out through the bars of the prison and grabbed the corner of Lin shi's clothes. "What do you want to do to the Fang Family?!"

Lin shi pulled the corner of her dress and then pressed the Empress's hand hard under her foot. "When you were bullying me, you should have thought of the day when retribution would come!"

"Ah!" The bone-crushing pain caused the Empress to cry out. "Lin shi, you will not die a good death!"

"A person who is already living in hell will not fear death." Lin shi laughed until she almost cried. "It is only my pitiful child. His reputation was ruined from when he was born. He became the inauspicious star that would bring calamity to the world. The child is innocent. When you had people spread rumors about my child, you never thought of leaving some way for us to survive."

The Empress stilled. She looked in shock at Lin shi. "You think that I did that?"

"You do not have to act so well." Lin shi smiled coldly. "You ruined my son's life, and I will take your entire Fang Clan in exchange!"

Lin shi moved her foot away. She touched the silver hairpins in her hair. While she did not have any makeup on her face, her tender skin was enough to make up for countless flaws.

She walked out of the prison. Looking at the pouring rain, she unhesitatingly stepped into the storm.

"Mistress, it has not been a month since you gave birth. It was not good for you to leave the rooms. You cannot get rained on, or you will become ill in the future." The servant behind her put up an umbrella to shield her from the rain. However, the rain was too heavy. Even though there was an umbrella, many drops of rain still reached Lin shi's face.

Lin shi smiled unconcernedly and continued to stride forward.

She was standing in this shaking core of power—what future was there?

A crowd of imperial doctors and grand doctors were squeezed in the side hall of the Empress Dowager's palace. There were many of the Yan Clan standing outside. As the Empress Dowager remained unconscious, the faces of the Imperial House members outside got uglier.

When had their Imperial Yan Clan ever had an empress who poisoned the empress dowager? This ugly matter could not be concealed and was definitely going to enter the history books.

When they thought of this, their expressions became even uglier. It was likely that thousands of years later, when people mentioned the Yan Clan's imperial dynasty, they would not forget this ugly matter.

Daughter-in-law poisoning Mother-in-law, that was unfilial. Empress poisoning Empress Dowager, that was treasonous. Yet, this person who was unfilial and treasonous was the very empress whom the Emperor had insisted on investing with the empress title in the past.