107

Chapter One Hundred and Seven: Eight Treasures Trousseau

In the dark room, Yan Bo Yi sat expressionlessly at the table and looked coldly at Yan Jin Qiu who was sitting on the other side. "Your Majesty the Emperor, on the first day after seizing power, has not forgotten to come laugh at me?" His forehead was burning in pain. Two hours ago, a "prisoner" character had been added there.

"Zhen has decreed that your concubines who do not have children can leave as they wish," Yan Jin Qiu said slowly. "They are now packing up. Do you want to go bid farewell to them?"

"They are just people who are selfish and have no loyalty—what is there to say?" Yan Jin Qiu sneered." What's the use of women except for having children?"

Yan Jin Qiu's brow creased slightly. When he thought that it had been two days since he had seen Hua Xi Wan, he didn't have any more interest in looking at Yan Bo Yi. "Your outcome really cannot be blamed on others." He stood and headed outside, unwilling to look at Yan Bo Yi one last time.

"Where are you better than me? You are someone who schemed against your own brother-in-law—you do not qualify to criticize others." Yan Bo Yi snorted. "And that wang fei of yours—she is enchanted by your warmth. She doesn't know how disgusting you are under that skin of yours."

Hearing this, Yan Jin Qiu turned back to glance at him. He smiled noncommittally and then left without a look back.

Watching as the gates slowly closed in front of him, the room becoming dark, Yan Bo Yi raised a hand to lightly touch his forehead and then hatefully smashed the rough porcelain tea set on the table.

The gates to Xian Wang Fu were wide open. Outside, the imperial guard was clearing the way. They splashed clean water on the streets. The imperial procession was coming, and everyone else needed to move out of the way.

They had made such a fuss because the new emperor wanted to come himself to meet the empress and take her into the palace. Some older officials had objected to this, but the new emperor had said in front of the entire court, "Hua shi is my wife, and we will not be separated. Among the people, husband and wife love and support each other. Zhen is the son of Heaven but is the same as any other person, and only wishes to stay with my wife until we grow old."

All the officials were speechless. What could they say? The Emperor himself was willing, so could they, the officials, have the Emperor disrespect the Empress and favor concubines? It would not look good to say that. Also, the new emperor had just ascended the throne—who was willing to disagree with him?

Fine, you, the grand emperor, are willing to bow to your woman; they would not meddle in these matters and would just watch.

"Niangniang, the Emperor has personally come to take you to the palace." Bai Xia who was usually composed had a thread of surprise on her face. She walked into the room and looked at the grandly dressed Hua Xi Wan. She carefully touched the phoenix hairpin in Hua Xi Wan's hair. "They will reach the second door about now."

Hua Xi Wan also hadn't expected that Yan Jin Qiu would come. After a slight pause, she slowly smiled. Holding Bai Xia's hand, she stood up unhurriedly. "Let's go."

When someone has already walked ninety-nine steps, she was not so lazy that she wasn't even willing to walk that one remaining step. A person needed to be careful, but they also needed to have enough bravery.

"Emperor?" Mu Tong looked in puzzlement at the Emperor. He did not understand why the Emperor got off the dragon carriage after reaching the second door. However, the moment when he spoke, he knew he had made a mistake and hurriedly closed his mouth. He bowed and then took a step back. The other people saw that Chief Steward Mu who had served the Emperor for so many years did not dare to speak, and all of them remained silent. They followed behind the Emperor and watched as he walked towards the inner compound.