25

Chapter Twenty-Five: Closeness

When Hua He Sheng came with his sons to the guest hall, Xian Junwang was already sitting in the guest seat and savoring a hot cup of tea. Seeing them come in, he politely put down the teacup and even stood up.

"Xian Junwang." Hua He Sheng smiled and raised his folded hands in greeting. "Please take the top seat."

"Mount Tai is too polite." Yan Jin Qiu gave the bow of a junior to Hua He Sheng and then one of equals to Hua He Sheng's two sons. "Today, I have come for no other matter—I just heard that Second Brother-In-Law is preparing to attend the Fall Examination, so I had someone find the past exams of the Fall Examination. Even though there is no great use, it can let Second Brother practice and familiarize himself with the question type of the Fall Examination."

When he finished saying this, the two attendants standing silently behind him came forward and presented a wooden box each. After the servants of the marquis fu took them, they silently retreated to the side.

"Virtuous Son-in-law, thanks." Hua He Sheng had a smile on his face as he ushered for Yan Jin Qiu to sit down again on the guest seat. He had the servant switch another cup of tea for Yan Jin Qiu. "This untalented son of mine is just going to see his luck at the Fall Examination this year. Whether or not he will rank depends on the heavens, but it has troubled Virtuous Son-in-Law for your efforts."

Hua Ding Chen did not show any dissatisfaction at being disdained so by Hua He Sheng and had a humble expression. He chuckled and raised his hands at Yan Jin Qiu. "Many thanks, Meifu, for planning so well for me. I had been thinking a few days ago how wonderful it would be to have past questions to solve. Who knew that I would encounter Meifu sending coal in the snow. I really am grateful." Finishing, he was going to bow to Yan Jin Qiu, but Yan Jin Qiu held him up.

"Second Brother-in-Law does not have to be so polite. You and I are brothers—we do not need to speak of gratefulness." Yan Jin Qiu patted Hua Ding Chen's shoulder and said to Hua He Sheng, "I have come this time primarily for Xi Wan. Tomorrow is Daughter's Day, the sixth day of the sixth month. Xi Wan is having a hard time in the summer; Mount Tai, please prepare more ice."

Hua He Sheng was a smart person and instantly heard that Yan Jin Qiu was implying that they could have Hua Xi Wan back to the marquis fu tomorrow to pass Daughter's Day. The other would also respect the marquis fu's course of action.

"My daughter is not good in personality. If she is not sufficient in some area, Virtuous Son-in-Law, please have tolerance." Hua He Sheng's voice instantly became closer. "It is our fault for spoiling her these years."

"Xi Wan is very good. After she took over Junwang Fu, she has organized the fu well," Yan Jin Qiu said in a sincere tone. "It is my good fortune to have married her."

After he said this, even Hua Chang Bao and Hua Ding Chen looked at him with more warmth in their eyes.

When Yan Jin Qiu came out of the gates of the marquis fu, it was Hua Chang Bao and Hua Ding Chen who sent him out the door. They were much closer in their conversation and actions.

After the two brothers sent off Xian Junwang and returned to the guest hall, Hua He Sheng was looking at the examination questions that Xian Junwang had delivered. He asked with a deep expression, "What do you two feel about Xian Junwang as a person?"

Hua Chang Bao lowered his eyes and did not speak. Hua Ding Chen said after some thought, "Xian Junwang is just as the rumors say, a clean and handsome person."