68

Chapter Sixty-Eight: Conduct and Appearance

Listening to the sound of words and laughter from Wang Ye and Wang Fei in the carriage, Mu Tong who was sitting at the front narrowed his eyes. He looked at the carriage that was slowly moving towards them. Was that the procession of a junzhu?

A short while later, the carriage in front stopped. A well-dressed servant came forward and bowed. She said, "This old servant greets Wang Ye and Wang Fei on behalf of Junzhu."

Hua Xi Wan and Yan Jin Qiu were at an exciting part of their conversation. When they had detected the carriage slowing down, they were curious. When they heard the voice of the old matron, their brows creased slightly. Which junzhu conducted themselves like this? It was as though they were purposefully creating an encounter.

"Wang Ye, Wang Fei, it is the procession of Min Huai Junzhu." Mu Tong announced in a low voice.

"Min Huai Junzhu?" Hua Xi Wan smiled sarcastically as she glanced at Yan Jin Qiu. Wasn't that the junzhu with both virtue and talent who had come to the marriage chambers on their wedding night? She reached out with her index finger to trail it down Yan Jin Qiu's Adam's apple. "Wang Ye really has a fated connection with Min Huai Junzhu."

Yan Jin Qiu smiled as he grabbed her hand and bent his head to kiss the back of her hand. "The old woman who sells tea eggs will set up her stall every morning at the corner. I will pass by her everyday—doesn't that mean I have more of a fated connection with her?"

"Silver-tongued." Hua Xi Wan lightly bit at his wrist and then she lifted a corner of the curtain, saying lightly, "Min Huai Junzhu, there is no need to be so polite. We are siblings; there is no need for such courtesy."

The old servant woman did not dare to raise her head and gave a proper bow. Along with the procession of the junzhu, they moved to the side. She only released a breath after the procession of Xian Wang Fu had passed by. Just now, Xian Wang Fei had a smile on her face, but she felt an unspeakable kind of authority. This was probably the presence of a superior.

After the old servant woman returned, Min Huai Junzhu called her into the carriage and asked in a light voice, "He has been very busy lately. Does Xian Wang look well?"

The old servant woman's body tensed slightly, and then she immediately knelt in front of Min Huai Junzhu. "Junzhu, please forgive. When this old servant went to give the greeting, this one did not see Xian Wang Ye."

Min Huai Junzhu's brow creased slightly. This servant woman was her wet nurse. In the past, when she went to see Xian Wang, Xian Wang had always been very courteous. How could he not even show his face this time?

Detecting that Min Huai Junzhu's thoughts had gone far away, the servant woman hurriedly explained, "Junzhu, this old servant only saw Xian Wang Fei. She also said that you were siblings, and there was no need for courtesy."

"Xian Wang Fei?" Min Huai Junzhu sighed inwardly. "I know." Right now, Xian Wang Fei was even able to speak for Xian Wang. It was possible to see her status in Xian Wang's heart—what was there for her to hope for?

He had a wife, and she was fated to marry someone else. There was no use in thinking anymore. Right now, she just did not want to end that last bit of wishing.

"Junzhu, do not waste more thought on this matter." The servant woman had watched her grow up and did not have a child of her own, so she always couldn't help but think more on behalf of Min Huai Junzhu. "Do not forget what the Empress has said."