35

Chapter Thirty-Five: Hardship

Hua Xi Wan knew that she had just lightly hit her head. Even though there was some blood, it was not as serious as the rumors outside said it to be. She did not know if the rumors had been exaggerated as they passed between people, or if Yan Jin Qiu had intended for this kind of rumor to pass around, so she cooperated with him and rested on the bed. When she became bored, she had the singers in the fu sing for her. When she was irritated, she had the vaudeville people amuse her. She tried to do all she could to make her days on the bed even more comfortable.

"Junwang Fei, a nurse has come to change your bandage." Bai Xia walked in from outside. She helped Hua Xi Wan sit up and then put a soft pillow behind her back.

Hua Xi Wan had the performers retreat. "Please invite her in."

The nurse waited for the servant girls in the room to lift up the curtain before she walked in. She was directly responsible for outer injuries. Even though she had spent some years in the Grand Hospital, she had never come to Xian Junwang Fu before. Seeing the different sceneries and drawings in Xian Junwang Fu every couple of steps, she finally believed what the generation before her said: the previous emperor had really favored the original Xian Qinwang.

Xian Junwang Fei's room was decorated elegantly, but it would not cause people to feel that it lost the heavy reputation of a prestigious family. It could be seen that the person who had decorated the room had put in great effort and thoughtfulness and even greater attention towards the owner of the rooms.

"This one greets Xian Junwang Fei." The nurse saw a beauty in plain clothing lying on the bed and knew that this was Xian Junwang Fei who was deeply loved by Xian Junwang. She went forward and curtsied. "This one has come under the orders of the Dean to change the bandages for Xian Junwang Fei."

"Sorry for the trouble, Official." The voice of the person lying on the bed was very soft and had a slightly bewitching tone. Even as a female, the nurse felt as though her heart was tingling. She couldn't help but take a few more glances at the person on the bed. She was a nurse of the Grand Hospital, but she had an eighth rank position. Many prestigious families looked down on women in medicine, and there was always disdain in their conduct and speech. There were really not many who were sincerely polite like Xian Junwang Fei.

"Xian Junwang Fei, please do not move. It might be slightly painful in the beginning.." The nurse went forward and slowly took off the gauze that had been put on before. Seeing that the wound had not become swollen or filled with pus, she sighed in relief. She used a cotton swab to first clean off the dressing around the wound and said in a light voice, "Junwang Fei, your wound is recovering well. Please pay attention to having the room properly aired. Do not get stifled or overheated, and your wound cannot get wet."

When she was washing the wound, the nurse became even more careful. However, she knew that no matter how careful she was, it would still be painful. Fortunately, Junwang Fei did not punish her for this, and did not even make a sound. After the dressing was changed, the nurse released a breath. "Junwang Fei, the dressing has been completed."

Hua Xi Wan gave her thanks again and had Bai Xia personally see the nurse out the door. The status of the nurses was not as high as that of the males in the Grand Hospital. Also, many people felt that a woman's skills in medicine could not compare to a man's, so the trust in females in medicine was not very high. Even some of the females in the prestigious families had similar viewpoints.

But in Hua Xi Wan' view, that nurse had been very practiced when she had been changing the dressing, and extremely open and honest in her conduct. They were all women, and she was willing to give honor to the other.