73

Chapter Seventy-Three: Mentality

The attempted assassination of Hua Xi Wan caused huge waves to go through Jing. Yi'an Marquis Fu sent several groups of people to deliver objects. Even though the Hua Family knew that Xian Wang Fu did not lack in anything, this did not stop their actions.

Even Yao shi of Third Master Hua's family who was a bit of a cheapskate sent some replenishing items. According to her, no matter how much of an eyesore she found Hua Xi Wan, she did not want the other to die needlessly. At most, Yao shi just wanted to see her in an unfortunate situation or to not live as well as her own daughter. However, she did not want the other to lose her life.

The Hua Family sent things to the wang fu, and the other members of the Imperial Family also did the same. Prestigious families that could find a connection to Xian Wang Fu or that were close to the Hua Family also mimicked those people and sent things over. No matter how insincere they were, at least they expressed the regret they felt about the attempted assassination of Hua Xi Wan.

After this matter was publicized, the atmosphere of Jing became even tenser. It was not that these people were afraid they would also be assassinated, but they guessed the even more terrifying truth—someone wanted to get rid of Xian Wang.

Everyone knew that Xian Wang had great love for Xian Wang Fei. If he did not have any matters, he never wandered outside the wang fu, and if he had free time, he liked to return to the fu to keep his wang fei company. The day when someone attempted to assassinate Xian Wang Fei, he had been delayed by the officials at the palace gates. The assassin had clearly not predicted that Xian Wang who usually returned at a regular time would not appear on that day, and then decided to act against Xian Wang Fei instead to affect Xian Wang's emotions. This would cause him to lose his mind and intelligence when he competed for the throne.

It was the greatest fortune that Xian Wang Fei had two servant girls who protected her with their lives, and that the guard of Xian Wang Fu had been patrolling nearby. If any of these circumstances were lacking, Xian Wang Fei would have undoubtedly died.

No one guessed that this matter had been one which Xian Wang Fei had directed and acted in herself. This was because many people in the wang fu had heard the ruckus that came from the main yard, and the screams. The spies whom certain people had inserted into the fu had heard them. Also, Xian Wang Fei had been wounded in the arm. The rumor was that it was a serious wound and it would leave behind a scar.

Xian Wang Fei was such a beautiful and delicate woman. Could she cut such an ugly scar on her own arm? Also, Xian Wang and Xian Wang Fei were not people who liked to pursue power. What was the aim if they were faking this?

They disliked having too much blood in their bodies, and decided to cut open a wound to play?

Even more people leaned towards believing that someone wanted to attack Xian Wang while the Emperor was not in a good mood in order to eliminate this hidden opponent.

If it was related to the matter of succession, then it would never be a simple matter. When they thought of the presently chaotic state of affairs, they couldn't help but sigh. The next while in Jing would probably not be peaceful.

Ever since the effects of the laudanum had passed, Hua Xi Wan experienced the feeling of pain. She didn't even dare to move her arm freely, and she had to take care with what she consumed. This was what was most painful to her.

The two most important things in life were eating and sleeping, and now she could not do either of them well. When she slept at night, she did not dare to flip over, and she could only eat some dishes that were beneficial for wound recovery. It was difficult to bear.