80

Chapter Eighty: Close and Distant

Because of the example of the green-robed servant girl, all of the wang fu settled down greatly. Adding on that, the Empress Dowager bestowed down many rare and precious items, along with a verbal decree that Xian Wang Fei was virtuous and intelligent. It was as though she hadn't implied for Wang Fei to have a child as early as possible.

The actions of the Empress Dowager clearly represented her reaching out to Hua Xi Wan, and also expressed the idea that she did not have any intentions of forcing Xian Wang to take a concubine. Xian Wang Fei was very good, she was satisfied, and other people should not speculate.

No one knew what the Empress Dowager was doing until someone suddenly recalled that Xian Wang had gone to the Empress Dowager's palace a day ago and stayed in there for a considerable amount of time. Then they realized—this matter most likely was not that the Empress Dowager had thought it through but that Xian Wang had gone to beg the Empress Dowager.

The women of Jing all praised Xian Wang's actions, and even the womenfolk who only thought he had surface beauty felt that he was pretty good. Most of the women in the world who were normal would admire a man who loved his wife. So without knowing it, Yan Jin Qiu received from the women a reputation of being a good man.

Having seen too many stupidly filial men who sacrificed their woman's happiness, people felt that Xian Wang was a rare example. There were women who praised Yan Jin Qiu, and there were women who envied Hua Xi Wan. There were also some men who found that their recent days were not very smooth because they had this example drop on them out of nowhere.

In the Third Master Hua's compound, the marriage of Hua Chu Yu with the master of the Lin Family was finalized and set for the end of fall. Even though there was still half a year, the fu prepared a great amount of dowry for her. But Yao shi still constantly toiled and had the servants collect rare items. She seemed to want to give Hua Chu Yu as dowry everything that was good.

The Third Master Hua was not a very significant personage in Jing, but his family had the marquis fu as support, as well as a Xian Wang Fei who was deeply loved by Xian Wang. So even though the Third Master Hua did not have any real power, the servants who were sent to the stores for purchases received a lot of face.

Today, the servant was going to collect a box of pearls for which the deposit had been paid, but in the end, the servant from Princess Rui He's fu had forcibly bought it. The servant from the Third Master Hua's fu didn't have a solution and could only return with empty hands to Yao shi.

After Yao shi heard the process of the matter, she swore hatefully, "A widow who just had her husband die dares to be so arrogant. I want to see how long she can do this."

"Mother." Hua Chu Yu hurriedly stopped Yao shi from talking and comforted her. "It is just some pearls, nothing rare. There is no harm in not having them."

"Silly girl, I want to make a pearl robe for your dowry. Princess Rui He does not want any face, and is stealing boldly from our fu." Yao shi was discontent, but she knew that Princess Rui He's personality was a strong one. Most people could only allow her to take what she wanted. The reason why the purchases that her family made in the recent days had gone so smoothly was mostly due to the marquis fu and Xian Wang Fu. Otherwise, even if they had the silver, they wouldn't have been able to purchase such good objects.

Thinking about Hua Xi Wan, Yao shi asked somewhat unnaturally, "Are you still in contact with the one in Wang Fu? A few days ago, there were rumors that the Empress Dowager was discontent with her—is that true?"