85

Chapter Eighty-Five: Love Begets Hate

As the widow of the Crown Prince, and with his only child in her belly, the Crown Princess should be a noble personage whom all in the palace treated carefully and with respect. But because the rumors grew stronger as they spread, even the servants in Zhu Que Palace could not resist gossiping behind her back and then looking suspiciously at the Crown Princess's child.

How could the Crown Princess be ignorant of what people were saying behind her back? However, she knew that she could not react to this matter at all. Because if she reacted, in the eyes of the Emperor, it meant that she was guilty.

Two days later, Qilong Emperor finally came to Zhu Que Palace to see the Crown Princess. He saw her sitting by the windowsill making baby clothes, and the gentleness in her eyes was unparalleled. The Emperor's suspicious silently halved. "Why are you doing this yourself? Do not strain your eyes."

"Emperor." When the Crown Princess saw him, she wanted to get up and curtsy. Qilong Emperor softly pressed on her shoulder and said gently, "We do not need courtesies between us."

Lin shi's expression changed slightly, and then she said with a bitter smile, "I did not think that Emperor was still willing to come."

"With you and zhen's child here, how can zhen not come?" Qilong Emperor smiled as he sat down next to Lin shi. He picked up the small article that Lin shi was working on and inspected it. "Do not pay attention to the rumors outside. Just rest your mind and take care of your body."

Lin shi said with red-rimmed eyes, "I don't know who is at odds with qie to spread such evil rumors. Will they not rest until they force qie to die?"

"With zhen here, you do not need to be afraid." Qilong Emperor put an arm around her shoulders and comforted gently, "Do not worry. Zhen will not allow the rumors to keep on spreading."

"Emperor, you are so good to qie." Lin shi smiled through her tears. She moved into Qilong Emperor's embrace, but there was no joy in her eyes.

One day later, the news that over ten palace attendants were beaten to death for gossiping spread and caused many people to close their mouths. Even if they had suspicions, no one was tactless enough to speak them out loud.

When Hou shi heard that the Emperor had over ten palace attendants beaten to death for Lin shi, she said to Yan Bo Yi with a cold smile, "This is called true love."

Yan Bo Yi had a dark expression and did not speak. His position in court had been affected greatly recently due to the rumors. The old emperor was probably very discontent with him right now.

Hou shi saw him act like this and couldn't help but ask the question that had been there for a long time. "Tell me, who is really the father of the Crown Princess' child?"

"Do not think nonsense." Yan Bo Yi stood with slight displeasure. He said coldly, "Rest well, and do not think about useless matters."

When Hou shi saw him leave without a glance back, her suspicions increased rather than decreased. She thought of the Crown Princess' coolness to her, and the concubines in the fu who had features that were similar to the Crown Princess'. It was like there was a rock on her chest and she was not able to breathe.

No wonder he did all he could to make the Crown Prince unable to have a child, and then tried to do all he could to kill the Crown Prince. So it was for that woman. She had thought before that his personality was a cool one—but actually he was just warm to Lin shi, and she was a pitiful person who had the position of his wife.

Eight Treasures TrousseauOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara