69

Chapter Sixty-Nine: Critically Ill

The twenty-eighth year of Qilong was fated to have a shadow cast over it by the poisoning of the Crown Prince. The nobles who were qualified to attend the banquet were very low-key. They tried their best to have the carriages they rode in and the clothing they wore to not break protocol. However, because the Crown Princess was pregnant and the Emperor was placing great importance on the unborn imperial grandson, they could not be dressed too somberly. If they did so, the Emperor would feel they were bringing bad energies. It was very difficult for these relatives of the Imperial Family.

The carriages gradually traveled to the imperial palace. They examined each other and smiled conspiratorially. With respectful expressions, they walked towards the great hall of the banquet.

The palace attendants and taijian who were in Chao Yang Hall had tense nerves, afraid they would offend a noble personage. The palace had not been peaceful recently, so every one of them shrunk back and pretended to be a quail. It would not be profitable if they lost their lives.

Hua Xi Wan and Yan Jin Qiu walked together. There were taijian who were working hard on sweeping the snow that had accumulated on the paths, but the snow had not stopped at all. The slate stones that they walked on were still slightly wet and slippery. Yan Jin Qiu took the opportunity to hold Hua Xi Wan's hand as they walked forward, and completely forgot she had her maids.

Not far behind the two of them were Xu Wang Shizi and Shizi Fei. Xu Wang said to the shizi fei, "I really had never expected Zi Ling to have this side to him." Among the Imperial House members, the relationship he had with his shizi fei was already very good. However, compared to the sweet interactions between Xian Wang and Xian Wang Fei, they were lacking.

Shizi Fei had a very good impression of Hua Xi Wan. Hearing this, she said, "If I was a man, and able to marry such a woman, I would protect her as well."

Xu Wang Shizi did not agree. Xian Wang Fei was beautiful, but in his mind, the woman beside him was the best. "No matter how beautiful she is, it is not as good as one who understands me."

Shizi Fei blushed slightly and said with a lowered head, "For Xian Wang, Xian Wang Fei is the one who knows him the best." Her hand was being held in a warm hand. Her face flushed even more, but she did not break free.

Ning Wang was the leader of those who supported the Crown Prince. Because of the Crown Prince's increasingly unreliable conduct the past half year, he was so panicked he had sores on his lips. He looked at Xu Wang Shizi and Xian Wang ahead of him. Then he thought of his weak eldest son and his prodigal shizi. He instantly felt depressed. They were all young people, but why was the difference so great?

Also, the Crown Prince's group was becoming even more disorganized in their conduct. If the present Emperor had even one more son, he would immediately jump off the Crown Prince's boat, and it wouldn't be like this. It wasn't just awkward; there was even the possibility he would not be able to maintain the glory he had now.

Presently, the Crown Prince was weak because of being poisoned, and the gender of the child whom the Crown Princess was carrying was unknown. Sheng Junwang had many supporters in Jing. Xu Wang Fu seemed to be observing from the side and was loyal just to the Emperor, but that was on the surface. Xian Wang did not seem to have made any step out of bounds, but the womenfolk in Jing had a high opinion of him. He also had a pretty good reputation among the scholars, and had in-laws that was stronger than the ones of the other young shizi and wang. It would be all right if he did not have the intentions, but if he did, then he would be a strong enemy.