Chapter 14

Today

Today.

Today is the day that Mia's getting heart surgery. I'm nervous and I'm not even getting the surgery. I can't even imagine what she's going through.

Her surgery was scheduled for nine am this morning, so all five of us were here at seven thirty to give our well wishes and to give hugs to Mia. She was so excited this morning to give everyone hugs, and when she got to me she whispered, "I'm nervous." And I looked at her, and gave her small smile.

I said to her, "Can I tell you something?" She nods, "I am too." She smiles.

"Well, as long as two of us are nervous, it means it's about to be a fun ride." She has this little cheeky grin that I adore, but I have no idea what she's talking about. Considering she's had a lack of sleep in the last 24 hours and she's about to get knocked out with anesthesia, I know she doesn't know either.

She was nervous about the IV. Like shaking nervous. Micheal told us after it was done that she has a fear of needles. She was out five minutes later, and they took her in to the operation room. The surgery can take anywhere from three to six hours. The doctor told all of us that it would probably closer to the latter since they aren't sure if there is anything else they need to look it.

That takes us here. We're all skipping class because we had a fantastic argument made by Ben, who's always been a fantastic debater, especially for getting out of trouble with Coach.

"You see Mr. and Mrs. Thompson, we are just as nervous as you are. Put us in your shoes, if your very good friend was going into surgery, do you think you would be able to focus in lecture? Absolutely not. I think if I went in there, I would tell my teacher to shut up. We don't want that happening. Also, since we aren't sure when Mia will be finished, we'll be even more anxious to get out of lecture. So, we're staying."

Not sure if it really was the argument, or if Lauren was too tired and nervous to put up an argument.

So, we're currently sitting in the cafeteria. We even got the Thompson's to come, but that was difficult. What I have learned is... You put Mia's name into the mix and they'll agree.

Cafeteria food is gross, and I'm not sure how people in the hospital can eat this. But, it's better than my Aunt Cathy's food. Yuck. Her food is awful.

I have updated my family on Mia's condition, and I feel like I'm the calmest one in my family right now. They've been texting me nonstop to see how Mia is doing, if we have any updates or news, etc.

I also told Coach about everything he may need to know. He seemed really nervous too. Not sure if it was because it was Micheal Thompson's daughter, not the fact that it was Mia. But, I'm sure I can introduce her to him and I'm almost positive he'll like her more than her dad.

I can see where people who are close to Micheal, see the similarities between the two. Micheal and Mia, I mean. They are the most humble and selfless people I know. Mia, who's worried about the surgery, is also making sure we aren't worrying because she doesn't want us to get frown lines. She says 'it's bad for your health, stop'. She's silly if she thinks we aren't going to worry.