Chapter 31

"Mia, you're going to shoot from there, sound good?" Coach yells to me as I stand at the halfway line

We're warming up. I'm taking shots on goal to get my body ready to play this game.

If I die today, I hope my family knows that I love them.

I nod my head and tap the ball once and take my shot. It soars in the air for seconds on end before plummeting into the goal.

Shay nudges my shoulder and points to the goal. "Can you teach me that?"

I roll my eyes, "Only if you teach me that new move you're learning."

She smiles, "It's a deal." She takes a step and shoots her ball to the goal. It doesn't go in.

"You want to make sure that you're getting enough power from your leg to the ball," I tell her as she walks back over to me. "It's not just about strength. It's about technique and power. There are multiple components."

She nods, "Is that how you learned?"

"Nope, I was born like this." I laugh, "I've always had a 'dangerously good' kick." That's what people have always told me.

"How does it feel to be you, Mia?" Olivia jokes. "You are the coolest person I've ever met."

I laugh at her joking manner. "You are a special girl, Olivia. Did you know that?"

"Thanks, eight." She yells as she runs over to Coach.

I see Grace out of the corner of my eye, glaring at me. What is her actual issue?

I'm just glad that she's a right defender, so I don't have to deal with her. Shay's right forward, and I'm left, and have I mentioned that I'm nervous beyond belief?

I haven't played in so long. I forgot how nervous I get before games.

I look over at Sage, the goalie, and smile at her. She smiles back and turns to defend the goal again. Is that the correct wording? Defending the goal? I'm not sure.

"You're looking good out there, Mia." She tells me as I shag my ball from behind the net.

"Thank you. You're doing an excellent job preventing the balls from coming into the goal."

"Why did you say it like that?"

I laugh, "I'm not sure. I lack soccer knowledge right now because I've been out for so long."

She cackles as I run back to the little group of strikers.

"Okay, let's switch it up! Defenders," he points next to the goal line, "Go over there." He looks over at our group and smiles, "Great. You guys are together. Just move a little this way, and let's run some drills!" Coach Kevin yells at all of us. Shay and I are both passing the ball to each other, getting comfortable with each other on the field.