Chapter 44

"Alright, boys," Coach smirks as he walks from his office and into the locker room

"Alright, boys," Coach smirks as he walks from his office and into the locker room. "Big game, today. I know you all might be nervous," he chuckles, "I sure as hell am." We all give him small, fake laughs in agreement, which seems to do the trick because he thinks we're listening. "Miami, we beat them once. I think we can do it again! Who is with me?" He yells out and we all shout yes's back to him.

"Alrighty, then. Let's go and kick some ass!" He yells out, and we get up from our spots to walk out onto the court. Fuck, I'm nervous.

"I might shit my pants," Luke mutters to me as we walk through the hallway.

"You and me both," I murmur back before I hear Coach call me.

"Jackson!" I turn my head and watch him move his finger to point for me to come to him. I roll my eyes with a huff and turn. Luke pats my back before he keeps walking to the court, and I walk back to Coach.

"Alright, son. You know what to do, right?" He slaps my shoulder and brings me into a small huddle.

"Uh, score?" I question, confused. It could be to score, or it could be to blow their knees out. There is no in-between with this man.

"You got it!" He pats my back and asks me curiously, "How are you doing, by the way?"

I nod my head and then shake it, "I'm okay, well, actually, shit, but that's beside the point. I'm physically ready, and that's all that matters, right?"

He sighs and shakes his head, "No, Nate. What did I tell you? Get over the damn bitch and start playing as you love it."

"I do love it," and I would appreciate it if you never say that about Mia ever again, but I want to start, so I have to keep my fucking mouth shut and trying to restrain myself from putting my fist into your face.

By the looks of Coach, my face told him what my mouth didn't. I hear the buzzer go off, so I look toward the now empty hallway and back at Coach.

"Sorry, gotta go," I yell as I run toward the doors for the court. "Fucking ass, don't you dare say that about Mia ever again," I mutter under my breath and take a deep breath.

I jog to the doors, which security opens, and I give them a nod before I trot through the doors and onto the court.

Luke spots me first and gives me a nod to the doors where I just came from, "What was that about?"

"Just wants me to shoot," I shrug, "his head off," I mumble as I grab a water and spray it into my mouth.

I spot Miami on the other side, with Peters looking right at me with a big ass smirk.

I want to wipe it right off his face, but instead, I look down at my teammates sitting on the bench. "You playing today?" I nod my head over at Matthew, who scoffs.