Chapter 32

"I can't believe he said that about my daughter!" Micheal tells me, appalled, as we shoot around on the court

I'm trying to explain to him about my fiasco with Peters last week, and then I'll get to the whole thing with Coach.

I nod my head, "Thank you. Mia, obviously--"

"I mean, you couldn't have told her that! My little girl would, first off, never go for him. I'm not sure she even had a type before you, Son!"

"Thank you!" I stop what I'm doing and turn to him to thank him.

He nods, "I love my daughter, but she is innocent beyond belief." I stifle my laugh, not because he's wrong because that is the honest truth. "She would trust a fly," he laughs as he holds the ball and looks out into the distance. What's he looking at?

I pick up the ball and shoot, "Oh, and then Coach talked to her." I tell him, monotoned and annoyed.

He huffs, "He did not."

I roll my eyes, "Oh, he did."

"Well, what did he say? I never liked that guy." He shakes his head and shoots.

"He- wait, you know him?"

He nods, reluctantly with a roll of his eyes. "Played him in college, wasn't that good of a player. Very full of himself."

"That makes sense," I mutter. "Coach told her that I needed to play better but couldn't tell me himself."

"Wonder why," Micheal mutters under his breath. "You know," he points to me, "that guy always thought he was all that and, to be quite honest, he really wasn't. He needed to work on his technique to be a better player."

"I know, right." I shake my head. "But, I'm pretty sure he told Mia something else that she's not telling me. She is like you," I nod my head to him, "She doesn't always like to talk about her feelings."

He scrunches his nose, "I'll try to see if I can get it out of her, but I make no promises. I will protect Mia first and foremost." I nod, and he passes the ball to me. "One on one?" He smirks at me.

"You sure? I mean," I look him over, "Have you ever been training?"

He waves me off. "Just because I don't play anymore doesn't mean I suddenly lose all my athleticism, boy. I was one of the best players of all time back in my prime."

I throw my hands up, "Course I know that! You just look buffer than when I saw you at Christmas, that's all."

"Yeah, right. I know you're trying to get on my good side, Son. I've done it before with Lauren's parents, but you can't fool me." He fakes me out and shoots the ball in his right hand.

Obviously, it goes in. I mean, the man is Micheal Thompson.

He's got an unbelievable record for his free throws and shooting in general.