Chapter 22

First game today

First game today.

I'm more nervous than I was last year for my first game.

This year I'm starting.

I've grown so much, and Coach Turner has made me excel in ways I thought weren't possible.

He's shown me how to be more of a team player and how I can rely on my teammates.

We've done warmups. It was mostly shooting and layups. We incorporated some passing, and I came back early to look over plays. Now, we're just waiting for Jenkins to give us the game pep talk.

It's always the same thing. 'Boys, do well. Show them how great of a coach I am and how blessed as a team to have one another. I want to see us do better than last year.' It's a terrible speech, to be quite honest, and it never motivates me.

While I'm sitting there, my phone dings. Usually, I put my phone on silent. But the only person that I have my ringer on for is Mia. So, when I see her profile name show up, but it just says iMessage. Off-topic, but I don't like that I can't read my texts when they show up.

I open my phone to find a paragraph from Mia.

Hi, Nate! I'm not sure if you are going to read this before the game, but the girls and I just got to our seats, and I just wanted to text you quickly. Focus on the game. Block out anyone and everything, and do your best. Learn from your mistakes and find the ins and outs of people that you're playing against. Remember, if you get down on points, don't get upset. Take a breath and motivate yourself and others to get the score back. You'll do great, and I believe in you! ❤️❤️❤️

I smile as I read over her text. That helps me in more ways than one. I take a deep breath before I see Coach come out of his office. We're sitting on the benches in the locker room, huddling close to each other. Ben and Luke are on my right, and Jason and Max are on my left.

Coach sits in the middle of our group in a spiny chair. "Boys, for some of you, it's your last season of college basketball." He turns to Luke and me. "Some of you are starting large roles that you're beginning to fill." He turns to Ben and Matthew. "Do well. Not just for your team, but for your coaching staff and I. Show everyone your worth and talent," He starts to raise his voice, "let's make this season even better than the last!" He yells as he stands up. We all stand up with him as he makes his way to the court.

We're slapping each other's backs and screaming, trying to get motivated to win the first game.

As we all walk out into the arena, the stadium is alive. I can hear everyone in the stands shout when they see us jog out to our side of the bench. I don't miss Mia and the girls clapping and waving as they see us. I catch Mia's eye and wink as she smiles at me.

The boys and I all stand in a huddle near the sideline, and I lead the inspiration, "ALRIGHT." They all look at me while I yell. "WHO'S READY FOR THE GAME TODAY?" They all respond with 'me's' and 'I am'. "THINK AND BE ON YOUR TOES," I start, and the boys are all nodding their heads. "IF SOMETHING DOESN'T GO HOW YOU PLANNED IT, FIX IT. DON'T STAY UPSET BECAUSE WHERE WILL THAT GET YOU?" All of them respond with an array of 'nowhere.' "LET'S GET OUT THERE AND SHOW THEM WHO WE ARE. ARE YOU WITH ME?"