Chapter 29

Nate comes home tomorrow night

I can't admit to Nate that I really miss him because one of us has to be okay when the other leaves.

He texts me every other minute when he's away. Is it wrong that I feel bad when he does? Shouldn't he be hanging out with the boys?

And then when I hang out with all of them, I feel bad. No one wants to be around me, so why are people around me?

Of course, this is what I think about when I'm in my Physics class. I don't want to be here today. I've already learned everything that the professor is talking about today.

The girls and I, and Carter, because he's apart of the squad, are having our weekly dinner at my house tonight.

We might be doing takeout and then watching movies. I'm not really sure. I guess we'll figure it out when the time comes.

I focus back into the lecture right when he excuses us and lets us go early. I scribble down the notes that he has on the board and rush out of the hall.

My phone rings, but I have no idea where it is. I check my pockets and jacket, and then I pull out my backpack to find that it's at the bottom of my bag.

It's Shaylee.

"Hi, sorry it took so long for me to answer. I lost my phone for a minute there," I say right as I answer the phone.

I hear her laugh through the phone. "That's okay. I was calling to check and make sure that you knew we have practice tomorrow."

I nod my head until I remember that she's on the phone. "Sorry, yes. Why don't we have it every day is my question?"

She sighs. "You know, I'm not sure. I think some people complained a couple of years ago of it being too many days, so they cut it down."

"Hmm," I say as I get into my car.

"So, what are you doing today?" Shaylee asks me as I turn on the heat. I'm warming up from the cold outside, that's what I'm doing.

"I think my friends and I are getting takeout, how about you?" I ask her while I start my car up.

"Oh, nothing. Probably will watch some tape and then go to sleep."

"Shaylee! You better eat. Why not just come to my house? If you want, you don't have -"

"Really?" She interrupts me.

I smile, "Of course."

"I don't want to be a burden-" She starts to say, but I interrupt her.

"Shay, you aren't a burden. I love hanging out with you. And my friends will love you."

"Are you sure that they'll be okay with it?" She asks me once more.