Chapter 48

Holy fuck

Holy fuck.

Holy fucking shit.

I can't believe it.

"Can't believe it," Luke comes around from the side of my truck and hits my shoulder as we walk to the front doors of the Athletic Center. 

"I'm in--in like ---a fucking daze, bro," I blink a couple of times and look over at him, all my feelings tumbling out of my mouth at once.

Turner didn't tell me much on the phone, only telling me that Jenkins was fired. He said that he didn't know anything else.

I guess as the assistant coach, he was the first to know. Why did they tell me? I have no idea. I'm not even on the team anymore.

We were left blind-sided in Florida.

Josie wanted to go out and drink until our heart's content. She was more than ecstatic.

Now, we're standing in front of the Center, now going into the unknown. He didn't care about anyone but himself. And I think that's what hurts.

Sure, we had some good times with him. Some great times, actually. But, when you really look at it closely, you'd see a guy still trying to get over the fact that he wasn't a good enough basketball player in his day, a jealous old man who wanted to live out his dream through college kids.

I give Luke a grim nod, and I open the door for both of us. Luke walks in first, and I'm met with silence as I walk in behind him.

He looks at me, confused. I give him the same look back, and we both put our hands into our pockets while we walk through the hall.

Luke, Jason, and I are all not on the team anymore. Which, now, may not have been our best decision, but what is done is done.

We make a right at the end of the hall and walk to the locker room door where Turner directed us to.

"You open it," Luke mutters from next to me as we both stare at the door handle.

"No, you open it," I nudge him and nod my head at the handle.

He shakes his head and tries to come up with an excuse, but I just huff and open the door.

We definitely weren't expecting to see the whole team there, along with the board with them.

I turn my head to where the talking is happening and find Turner standing there, looking at both of us. "Thank you for coming, boys," he gives us both smiles and points to the benches, "You can sit at your old seats."

Luke nods, and we walk over to the bench, Ben sitting on the end.

"Hey," he mutters as we sit down.

"Hey," I murmur, "Have we missed anything?"

He shakes his head, "Nah, it's hella boring."

"Hella?" Luke muses as he runs his hand through his hair and looks at Ben with a small smirk.