Chapter 37

I have never wanted to say this, but I think this is the worst basketball game I have attended this year

The boys started slowly, and they looked super tired.

Illinois, on the other hand, is playing at the speed of light. They're on every pass the boys make and playing great defense.

They've also made some great plays, and now they're up by almost fifteen, and the game just started a couple minutes ago.

I have seen some illegal plays off of Illinois that the refs didn't see, which has further pissed Nate off. But, I hope Nate can change his attitude soon. It has to be mentally fixed before it can be physically, and therefore, be shown on the court. And right now, Nate isn't mentally, or physically, in the game at all.

Nate has been shooting more, but his shots are inconsistent. He has made two out of the four that he has thrown.

He looks out of it. Nate isn't reading any of the plays correctly as he usually does, and he's not passing to the right people at the right time. Even Josie pointed out that he doesn't look on top of his game today.

I've shown her all the techniques, and now my baby is growing to have knowledge of the game.

I don't think I know what I can do or say to help.

I'm not sure anything I do or say can help. Nate just needs to get focused and get into the game. Sometimes, I think Nate overthinks situations. He just needs to go for it and remember why he plays basketball. Because he loves it. That's all that should ever matter.

Just play your game and try your best. Everything else will come naturally.

Okay, they lost. Badly.

Coach looks more than pissed off. He looks like he might explode.

I feel bad for the boys and staff that will go into the locker room and have to hear his wrath.

I give Nate a sympathetic smile, and in return, I get a small smile from him.

He walks off with Jay and Luke, with Coach in front of them all, stalking away.

"Coach looks so jolly today," Josie muses from beside me.

I smile and look over at her. "You should just call him Santa at this point."

She laughs, "All I know is if I saw that man waiting for me to come to sit on his lap to take a picture, I'd go running for the hills."

Maddie laughs and nods her head. "Same, that man is the literal definition of scary."

I shake my head, and we all walk out of the arena and into the hall to go back home.

I don't think the boys will want to see us right now.