Chapter 6

I couldn't have imagined a better date

Mia and I have talked for three hours, from the start of our unofficial date. I know for a fact that she thinks this is not a date. But I do. Why would I make this much effort for someone I wasn't interested in? Interested? Oh my god, I've only known her for literally a full day but and I'm already enthralled with her. 

Let's back track a little. We went to get coffee at one of my favorite shops and she got a hot chocolate withe extra whipped cream and marshmallows. She is definitely a girl after my own heart because I got the same thing. Then, she tells me she's a little hungry. So, we went to get chicken, because she's told me that her favorite food is chicken strips. And finally, we stopped at the gas station to get some 'fun road trip' snacks as Mia would say that she's eating right now. She thought she was sneaky and ate my fries instead of hers, so she would have more, on the road though. I caught her but didn't mention anything. I'd just eat some of hers. 

We've been talking for half an hour about ourselves and I've never been more interested in a person before. But, I still have a couple questions.

"Okay, what is it?" She asks me all of a sudden. How is she inside my head?

"I have some questions even though you've talked my ear of for over an hour." I say to her.

"I get it from my dad, but ask away." She says as she rolls her eyes.

"Why didn't you tell anyone who you were? It just makes no sense." I ask her, genuinely confused.

"What do you mean 'doesn't make sense'? You know how people are when their parents are sorta famous people . I just have never been interested in that. I've always been kept to myself and the type to blend in with the crowd." I almost laugh. Blend in the crowd?  She's the type to be right in the spotlight but doesn't see everyone watching her. Everyone is completely and utterly captivated by her presence. Can't be too surprised, I mean everyone can see it. 

"Don't think you've got it correct." I say back.

"Huh?"

So just shake my head at her because I know she's not the type to take compliments from just anyone. Her dad is the same way, super humble.

"So, you grew up here?" She asks as she looks back at the road from the beach. She looks comfortable where she's sitting. 

"Yeah, lived here all my life and my parents still live in the same house." 

"Wow. I would have loved growing up here."

Maybe I'll show you around sometime. I think that would be nice. Instead of saying that though, I say, "It was great. There were these basketball courts at my elementary school that were always open and that's where I first learned to throw a 3-pointer. And in middle school, I learned how to dunk. I was a huge kid. Almost 6'4 in eighth grade."