Chapter 47

"Amelia! Come here!" Gramps waves me down, with his growing smile on his face as he sees me

I walk down to the tarmac of the airport and walk inside, but he meets me halfway. He gives me a tight hug and pulls back to look at my face. "How are you doing, darling?"

I gulp and nod my head from side to side, "I'm okay. Glad to be home," I lay my head on his chest as he chuckles.

"Life is awful without you, Amelia. I think we should talk about you transferring to SC," he nods his head, and I laugh.

"Oh, Gramps. You and I both know that I can't do t-"

"You're right," he waves me off as we walk toward the car, and he interlocks his arm with mine and hums, "That boy of yours would probably fight me if I had you come back home," he leans in a little closer and taps on my forearm, "would probably kill me," Gramps chuckles as I hit his forearm.

"He would not!"

"Oh, don't go protecting him against your Grandfather. You know that I'm always right."

I laugh as I rest my head on his shoulder, "I've missed you, Gramps. Especially your humor."

"Well, darling, my humor has missed you. You know that you're the only one that finds me funny," I give him a smile as he continues, "I've missed you more than I could even imagine. It has been hell without you here," he grumbles, "Hailey and Daniel have been at each other's throats-" he looks at me and shrugs, "you know how they are."

"Hmm," I hum as I let go of him, and he walks around to the driver's side, and I climb into the car, closing my eyes once I sit down and stretch my feet out from the long plane ride that I slept all the way through.

"Are you sure that you want to go to Hailey's game today?" He questions as he drives away from the small airport toward the freeway. "I only have a couple of days with my favorite granddaughter, and we have to waste two hours watching a game that you're not even playing in?" He switches lanes and picks up the speed as I look at my phone, two-thirty pm. Hailey's game is at three.

"Gramps, you know that Hailey would have your head if I didn't go-"

"You have a point," he hums, "I would rather be killed by your boyfriend, at least it would be a short and painless death, probably get me dead in five minutes. On the other hand," he looks over with a beaming smile, "You'd never forgive him for doing that to your favorite Grandpa in the whole world."

"What if Grandpa Ja-"

"Nope," he shakes his head, "I will only allow one answer, and it is not your dead Grandpa," he hums as he looks at the screen and turns up his music, classical, I think. "Hailey would, for sure, torture me. It would be long as hell. Probably getting back at me for never saying that I was her favorite," he mutters as he focuses on the road in front of us.