Chapter 18

I'm on my way to Mia's right now

I'm taking her to a surprise. Of course, she doesn't know that yet. She'll probably freak out because I didn't ask her beforehand, but I'm sure I can get her to come with me.

She's going to love the surprise. 

She's super worried about her french midterm because she says, 'it's practice for my final.' You see, her 'final' is her literal final for all the french she's learned over the years. So, she's really nervous. Very understandable. And with her anxiety and heart problems, I'm doing all I can to help her de-stress, but she won't let me do much. Especially when she won't answer my texts.

I drive up to her house and get out of my truck. I walk up to the door and give a knock.

Mia opens the door but doesn't look up at me. She's got her hair in a topknot with glasses on. Grey sweats cover her whole body and little fluffy socks are on her feet. Her face is covered by a book with a pen in her mouth.

She looks up at me, shocked that I'm here. "What are you doing here, Nate?"

"I'm taking you out on an adventure." She looks down at her outfit and back up at me, unimpressed with the idea.

"I'm not dressed to go out."

"You can get changed."

"Nate! I'm trying to study!"

"And I'm here to take you to get away from it for a little."

"I really can't. I need to study for all my classes still. And then practice even more for french. I'm so nervous."

"So, let's go and be free from stress, just for a little." She has been avoiding all my texts from the last couple of days because she doesn't want me to lose focus. She also says that I make her lose focus.

"Nate, I really can't go right now."

I don't even let her say anything. I just grab her hand and lead her to her room. When we get there, I leave her on the bed and walk to her closet.

Shorts, a sports bra, running shirt, and running shoes; that should work.

I turn around and give it to her.

"Where are we going?" She looks up at me, confused.

"You'll find out. It will be as long as you want. But, probably an hour or two." She shakes her head.

"So, we aren't just going on a quick, ten-minute walk?"

"Nope." I grin as I walk out of her room and shut the door.

I walk down the stairs and grab water bottles. Lauren comes out of her office and smiles.

"Are you taking Mia out for a little bit?"