Chapter 4

Last night was not as bad as I expected

I met Mia.

She was definitely different and unlike any girl I've ever met. But man, she is beautiful. Like, drop-dead gorgeous. The kind of girl you remember from the one vacation you took as a child. I don't think I've ever had a normal conversation with a girl besides someone blood related. Everyone wants to know about basketball, my looks, or want other thinks. 

Ben and Luke seem to be friendly with her friends. But, it was definitely weird to have this feeling when I saw her more comfortable with them. It's alright though because I'll change that.

When I was talking to Mia, I felt different. More myself. It was actually really easy to talk to her. 

And now I'm here. In my bed and it's eight am, and I kind of want to see her. Is that bad? Weird? I've never felt like this. I've never had a girlfriend or been interested in a girl, so I don't really what I'm feeling. Even though my mom would like to see me with someone, I don't really know if I want to be with anyone. Especially if coach keeps nagging me about being focused. How am I not focused?

I'm so focused, that old man should see kids these days. Speaking of old people, I need to call my grandma. She calls me on a weekly basis to ask if I have a girlfriend yet. And my response is always the same. Why are they so adamant on me getting into a relationship? I'm only twenty years old. I still got time for love and to be single. 

Now, with all that thinking, I'm hungry again. So I decide that I should go get some breakfast. There's a small campus diner down the street that I really like and go to super often. It's somewhere I can go to study or think, or just want something really delicious. I don't go anywhere else for good milkshakes or fries. 

I threw on a random pair of basketball shorts and a black tee. I asked the guys for their orders and now I'm going to get a bunch of pancakes with sides. It's the best part of living with a bunch of guys. We can get a bunch of food and be able to share.

I ordered by phone, so I just have to walk in. Super simple and great, really. The ride was short and when I park, I see the gorgeous girl that's been on my mind all morning. She's sitting in one of the booths. She knows the best diner in town and that makes me proud. She's with a woman and now that I'm right outside the restaurant, the woman looks really familiar. She looks a lot like Lauren Thompson, the wife of Micheal Thompson, one of the best basketball coaches around. 

The man is a legend. He has led the Lakers to the most NBA final games in a twenty year coaching span, besides Phil Jackson. I've heard that he makes the team feel like a family, a really talented family. So in sync and impressive. Micheal also was such a good player too. I used to watch his old games, and to be honest, he became the reason why I started basketball and became a Point Guard.

So, when I walked in and confirmed my suspicions that the woman inside is for sure saw his wife, who should be in California. Mia was missing a detail when she told me her dad liked watching basketball. Duh, he did! Her dad is Micheal Thompson! Wow!