31

(Time skip Two days later...)

Gina's POV

I'm free to go, finally. I hate feeling weak. There was nothing to do but sleep. Not like I did that, though. Everything I said to Cody when I yelled at him came back. It replays over and over in my head. I can't get the words out. I leave the hospital happily, attempting to leave some of my thoughts back there. It improves the situation a bit, but my doubts still plague me.

Why did I have to slap her? I shouldn't have done that. My rationality chose to become MIA. Fun. Josh looks up at me as I walk. "What's wrong, Mama?" He asks. I consider on whether to tell him the truth or not. "Sorry, buddy. Just a couple of things are out of control," I reply, running my fingers through my hair.

I make a beeline for a small café. I could really use a coffee. I push open the door, the bell hanging above it ringing. "What do you want, Joshie?" I ask, hoping to distract myself from the turmoil that is my thoughts. "Orange juice and 80 cookies!" He replies. In spite of everything, I let out a laugh. I hope he isn't planning on paying for those 80 cookies.

"How about 2 cookies?" I ask. He debates it over in his mind. A part of me wonders what he'll say. "Two is fine," he says reluctantly with a sigh. I laugh again. Spending time with any of my children makes me feel better. We get up to the front of the line and I order a black coffee. Josh places his order with ease. Very mature.

We settle at a little table near the door. I discreetly sniff the air. This is a Human establishment. I take a sip of the coffee. Not bad. Josh's cookies disappear faster than I can blink. The way he moves, though, unnerves me. There is a sort of nervousness. What could it be about?

Suddenly, I realize it. I'm doing this to him. I'm making him nervous. I take a deep breath and reign my raging emotions in. I'm in control. The bell rings again and I look up out of curiosity. I stiffle a gasp in my coffee cup. Neither of them notice me, but I notice them.

It's Cori and Cody.

The line is short, so I figure I have about a minute and a half to figure out what I'm going to do. I take a deep breath and start coughing immediately. I forgot I was still drinking my coffee. I cough a couple of times and force myself to swallow again. I compose myself quickly. Now I've got about 10 seconds before they see me. Think, Gina, Think! I urge myself. It's too late.

Cori turns around with her smoothie and spots me. Her facial features twist into an ugly grimace. She whispers something to Cody and he turns around as well. As if on autopilot, I get out of my seat and turn my back. Josh notices my facial expression. Time to go. I take my coffee and head towards the door.

Cori slams into me without warning. Caught off guard, I'm slightly off balance. She turns and dumps her smoothie on my head! I have a sudden urge to beat her til she's bloody. Control yourself! Jenna yells. She drives herself into my skull, momentarily distracting me. It's enough time for me to gain control over myself. And form a plan. "Oh my gosh! Why would you do that? That's so mean!" I say loudly, making to use a Human's words.

I end up drawing the employee's attention. "Ma'am, I must ask you to leave!" She says to Cori. Cori snorts but turns to leave anyways. She gives me a towel and I dry myself off. I smell awful. Just what was in that smoothie anyways? I notice now Cody's standing near me.

"You were wrong. I'm happy now," he mutters before leaving. Internally I sigh. I learned to read emotions many years ago. I have dealt with lots of people just like Cori. Goddess, I wish he could see what I'm seeing. Josh looks confused. "Mama? What were you wrong about?" Josh's voice breaks my thoughts. Keep that paranoia in check, Gina. I can almost hear Cody saying that.

Why am I thinking like that? I'm justified to feel paranoia. Especially after what happened. "Joshie, Uncle Cody just doesn't see the world the way Mama does. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. This time it's bad," I explain carefully. He looks like he understands.

This time it's really bad. For the second time in my life, I have absolutely no idea what to do. I wish Cody could see the world the way I do. Wishing won't help, Jenna reminds me. I know, but it can't hurt to try.

___________________________________________________________________________

Gina's past was referenced a bit more. Didja catch it? I usually try to keep her backstory out of things, but maybe I'll say more next chapter.

What do you guys think happened to Gina? (Besides the obvious.)

Happy Friday! #FridayFridayFriday

Comment the word Friday if you're happy today!

Vote! Follow! Comment!

W.L.W