Chapter Forty Eight

· · ·

「3rd Person POV」

“This is my only choice, after weeks of being locked up...” A person whispered to themselves as they wrapped the ropes around the balcony.

“This shall do the trick,” They said as they finished tying up the rope with a satisfying smile. They turned back to see if anyone was around, “Hopefully no one saw this.”

.
.
.

A few days passed, in the secret hideout where Emma and the others were currently staying, the children were cheering for Dominic as he tries to walk with the crutches.

“Go, Dominic!” They cheered loudly.

Oliver looked at the children then look at Paula, “How's Cristy?” He asked, worriedly about the young boy.

Paula replied, “He still hasn't woken up.” She was carrying a large bowl container as she brought it somewhere.

Zack said, “It's been a while now. I'd feel better if he had awoken by now.”

Oliver agreed, “Yeah...” He looks down and mumbled very quietly, “I miss (First Name) too...”

Emma was sitting in a chair, looking after Cristy. Ray staying against the wall, leaning back to relax. Emma caressed Cristy's hand as she started a conversation.

“I hope Cristy is doing all right...” She said looking sad and worried for the boy.

“He's looking better now, his pulse and breathing have calmed down. Vincent mentioned that there's no brain damage to Cristy.” Ray crossed his arms, staring at Cristy as he analyses the young unconscious boy.

Emma said, “Leaving that aside, there's Norman. He didn't come back since yesterday. I want to ask him as soon as possible.”

“I've been thinking lately, even though we just get along just fine. With Barbara, Cilso and Vincent... They're funny and nice people too...”

Emma let go of Cristy's hand and placed her hands on her lap. She continues, “To be caught by so much hatred, and back at Goldy Pond, Oliver talked how much he hated the demons too. But this is the first time I witnessed bottomless hatred.”

“I was scared. It's not "sympathy towards the demons"... I was just afraid of how deep-seated the hatred that I was seeing.” Emma said as Ray was nodding, listening to her words.

“But... They said; "Enemies are all the same." What about Mujika and Sungjoo?! Do they know that demons have children too? Yet they say they're all the same, it's strange! Very strange!” Emma yelled loudly as she blurted out her thoughts.

“Yeah, but they couldn't care less about those who killed our kind. They're suffering that what they went through is undeniable. You can't just say "don't hate them".” Ray said, looking at Emma. He sighed and looked away.

“After the hatred comes out, there's no going back. It'll grow. It's a cycle of hatred with no end.” Ray added.

“This is "war" to them after all. To inflict fear on an enemy, one's poverty, leaderships' selfishness, a mutual misunderstanding. It can start for a different number of reasons.” Ray said as he explained.