Chapter One

· · ·

「Your POV」

“Rise and shine! Breakfast is calling!” I heard Emma exclaiming on the other side of the room while she wakes everyone up.

I went to change to my cleaner self. A clean, white button-up shirt on and a white skirt that I'm still uncomfortable with.

‘I've been living here for ten years. The kids around me aren't aware of the secret behind,I strolled through the hallway to the dining room– where I see the children preparing for breakfast.

Norman and Ray were helping the other younger children setting up the dinning table for everybody.

“Norman! Ray! Gweod mhworning!!!” Emma happily greeted them.

“Good morning, Emma!” Norman smiled.

“"Gweod mhworning" Emma,” Ray chuckled when he mimicked Emma.

“Someone's already this energetic and they haven't had breakfast yet,” Norman commented, gazing at Emma.

“What are you, five?” Ray asked.

“I'm eleven, just like you two!” Emma exclaimed.

I saw Mother giggled at the three people interaction. I was standing next to the wooden door– the entrance to the dining room, looking at every single person entering with smiles in their faces.

Everyone sits on their seats. I took mine as Mother rang the bell. We prayed and dig in into our breakfast.

.
.
.

“Age 11, type 1. Please answer every question within nine seconds. We will begin now.”

“Question 1, please select the figure of the following that could not be a possible for solid A.”

“Question 2, count the total number of cubes in the following composite solid.”

“Question 3, give the 50th term of the following sequence.”

“Question 18, select the figure that corresponds to the region of the Cartesian plane described by the following inequality.”

“Question 59, please give the formula that can be derived from the following conditions.”

After the test, I yawned as I looked at Mother who was far at front. My sit was far behind from everyone.

“Norman, Ray, Emma. Congrats, you three! You each got perfect scores again!” Mother congratulated the three eldest child.

I left the room while they were celebrating. I frankly do not care whether I got a perfect score. It's pretty simple.

Then, it was free time. I went inside the library, to read some books. I looked out at the window. I saw everyone playing at the field.

Mother was outside, doing some laundry I guess. I looked at Ray, Emma and Norman– they were enjoying their time.

I got back to the desk, there were like papers splattered everywhere. Photos, maps, books about the outside world and a plan.

‘I'm going to escape soon.’

.
.
.

Dinner has passed and it was time to say goodbye to Conny. All of us excluding me say goodbye. I didn't attend the event for the past few years.

Mother leads Conny outside as everyone went back to what they're doing. As I entered the dining room, I saw Emma and Norman gone. But Gilda and Ray are there.

I didn't say anything because I know they'll ignore me. So I just shrugged and went upstairs. I changed into my pyjamas and went to bed.

.
.
.

I am (Name), code 18194.

I am one of the oldest children around and also one of the smartest.

I live in an orphanage called Grace Field House.

To describe my daily life, I don't interact with anyone but her.

I am an outcast in Grace Field House, no one noticed or talk to me. They never look at my way.

Except for Mother, whom the only person I talked with.

I'm glad that she knows I exist. But she doesn't know that I'm planning to escape...

I'm going to leave everyone.

I'm escaping alone.

Starting tonight.

And they won't notice.

· · ·

[ Published on 9th May 2020
Edited on 23th November 2022 ]