Chapter Five

→ Starting from this chapter will be a flashback. It'll be slightly different. ←

· · ·

「Your POV」

It was winter. I woke up, changed into the snow-white uniform— a button-up shirt and a skirt— after taking a bath. I dried my hair and organized my things up.

After that, I glanced at the mirror to tidy up my clothes before going downstairs. Then the code on the side of my neck, “18194” I read it quietly.

I closed the door behind me and walked down the stairs. On my way to the dining room, I saw the children preparing the meals while they greeted each other a good morning.

After breakfast, we took our daily test. Norman seems to improve a lot. The test was done, Mother is going to announce the scores, starting from the top.

“Congratulation (Name)! You got a perfect score!” Mother smiled.

Then it's free time, the kids went out to play with the snow. Here I am, at the library.

Then I saw a figure in the corner of the library. ‘Probably a kid reading.’ I thought.

But what's makes me got curious that the kid reading looks very unfamiliar. The kid, a boy with a long bang that covered his left eye and his code is 81194. 

He was reading a book. The book that I had read a few days ago. It was a very interesting book.

Then he caught me staring at him. I quickly avoid eye contact and went to another bookshelf. I acted normal and went to search for more books. I took out an adventure book.

“Hey,” I heard someone said.

I titled to my head to where the voice came from and saw the boy who was reading a book earlier.

“Can you cover for me?” He asked me.

Wh—”

“Ray?”

Then I heard a voice spoke up. I saw a girl with orange hair.

“I know you're here!” The orange-haired girl shouted in the library.

I shrugged and turned around after peeking out. Then I saw the boy who was in front of me, staring at me.

I raised a brow, “What?”

“Can yo—”

“Ray! There you are! Eh, you're with someone? That's odd of you.”

Then he got interrupted by the girl from before. She saw us arguing.

“Hello, I'm Emma, code 63194!” Emma greeted me with a smile as she took my hand.

“What's your name?” Emma asked me.

“I'm (Name), nice to meet you, Emma,” I said and shook hand with her.

“I never saw you before. Are you new?” Emma asked me as she released my hand.

I answer her by shooting my head no.

“By the way, why are you here for?” I asked her as she quickly grabbed my arm and the boy's arm.

“We're visiting Norman! He's sick right now!” She exclaims happily as she dragged us to the infirmary.

“Come on!” Emma said as she runs into the infirmary.

I slowly catch up to her as the boy– whom I assumed his name was Ray– was walling slowly while reading a book.

Emma and I entered the infirmary and Emma told me to hide. Then Mother went into the room with a thermometer. She approaches a bed with a sick boy– I assumed to be Norman– was laying there with a cloth on his forehead.

“You're sick, Norman.” Mother said as she checked the thermometer.

“You can't play with the snow for now. Until you feel better.” She added.

After that, Mother left the room to leave Norman to rest. Then Emma quickly approaches the bed and greeted Norman, “Boo!”

“Emma?” Norman coughed. I got uncomfortable and got off the hiding spot.

“(Name)?” Norman looked at me.

“What are you guys doing here?” He asked us.

“You're always like this whenever you're sick Norman. You get lonely! I got here to accompany you! I dragged (Name) here! I can not be sick!” Emma exclaims.

I heard footsteps coming here and I turned back to see Mother. “Emma? (Name)? What are you two doing here?”

“Mama! We're here to visit Norman! Ray told me that I can't get sick!” Emma said to Mother.

‘Yup that book...’ I thought as Mother took my hand.

Then Ray appeared next to the door and said, “This book says that idiots can't get sick.”

“Come on, let's get Norman to rest.” Mother said as she brought us out of the infirmary.

As we got out of the room, Mother stick "keep out" tapes around the door as I started at it.

Then I saw Emma dragging cups and a long string in between into the room. “Ray taught me how to make these! We can talk through this!” Emma said.

Then Mother came into the room and picked Emma up. Mother brought Emma out of the room as I looked next to me was Ray reading. The door was closed as Emma talk into the cup, “Norman? Can you hear me?”

“Yes, loud and clear,” Norman answered.

“Yeah!! Woohoo!! We can talk using these cups!” Emma exclaims happily.

“You do know that if you're that loud, you don't even need that to talk,” Ray stated as I agreed with him.

With that, that is how I met Emma and Ray.

· · ·

[ Published on 16th May 2020
Edited on 28th November 2022 ]