Epilogue 1

Version 1: Sang chooses Ryker only. 

A year passed after the mission that finalized my decision. So much had changed yet it feels as if not much had changed.

Laughter surrounded me as I stood with my team. The Academy had decided to host a barbeque as a get together. There were many new teams that popped up within the last year. It came to be that there was a line between the newer teams and the older generation teams. Luckily, if you see it like I do, we were right in the middle. We knew both sides and were happy to try to lessen the difference between the two generations.

"Welcome," Dad's voice boomed out, quietening the large crowd. His hair was a light gray as he decided not to color it anymore, but his clear blue eyes were the same. He still had the commanding yet soft look he always wore. "I'm so glad that all of you were able to come. All of us came from different backgrounds. At one point in our lives, we all found ourselves helpless against the circumstances, but all of us were able to come together for one thing: to help others."

I smiled, thinking about myself. My life wasn't sunshine at all until nine boys appeared in my life. Sure, they left, but them leaving opened me to the opportunities to becoming myself. I was able to become the bold and confident person without the stares of nine that weighed heavily on me. I found myself as I traversed a new journey with people I barely knew. I was able to learn more about myself as well as them. Then he came into my life, and it felt as if sunshine was shining on me once again. He uplifted me when I felt that I didn't need love.

Then the nine Blackbourne boys reappeared in my life. We spent a year together as friends as I helped them heal from torn bonds. They made me feel whole again.

But only as friends.

When Rielle died, she left me a note to follow my heart, and my heart belonged to one man only. He was the one who bound my heart back together to let me love once again. Ryker was the one who made me feel special. He made me feel like I was the only star in the sky.

Yes, we had our hard moments and arguments. But we were able to solve them together. We were there for each other.

"We learned that family comes first. And if family isn't there, the Academy is." Dr. Robert's eyes looked over the younger and older generation teams. "We will always be there for each other. Never forget that." He rose his cup filled with sweet tea. A swell of pride and happiness seemed to come over the crowd as we raised our cups into the air. "Family First!"

"Family first!" We echoed as we cheered.

A smile came over my face as I looked around me. Dotted among the crowd near me were the Blackbourne team members. They smiled at each other, clinking their cups together. And near each of the males were their partners. Their girlfriends and fiancées laughed along with them, and I smiled. They were happy. And so was I.

I took a step to the side but my ankle collapsed, making me fall towards the ground. An arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me up. I landed against a hard chest, and I looked upward into twinkling, dark blue eyes that reminded me of the night. His smile was contagious as I laughed softly. "Well, hello there."

"My hero." I fanned my face and battered my eyes at my savior.

His eyes seemed to gleam as I reenacted the first time we met. He snorted. "I'm no hero. My name is Ryker Nightingale."

"I'm Sang," I smiled, bringing my hands up to wrap around his neck. The diamond sparkling on my ring finger. "Sang Nightingale."

He rested his head against my forehead. "I love you with all my heart. You know that, right?"

I closed my eyes, basking in the sun and at his words. I smiled. "I know. My heart belongs to you."

"And mine to you," he whispered as he closed the distance. His lips connected with mine, leaving a ghost of a kiss that made me laugh. I firmly grabbed his neck and pulled him down to me. I felt his lips curve into a smile as we kissed.

"Oi," a voice called out, breaking us apart. Gabriel's mischievous blue eyes narrowed at us. The rest of the Blackbourne team and their partners appeared to my right. "You better keep it PG13. We have enough hormonal boys around here, and kissing will only set them off."

Rowan, my twin brother, snorted, appearing out of nowhere with his two partners. They stood to my left. "You and your team are ones to speak."

"Eh?" Nathan playfully looked aghast. "I am offended by your words."

"You should be," Kayli stated as she and her five men appeared. In her arms was a babbling Jewel. Her blonde hair was in a disarray, and her cerulean eyes smiled at familiar people. The family of seven stood between the Kilgannon and Blackbourne teams, completing our unspoken circle.

I smiled as I leaned against Ryker's chest. A small spark of sorrow made its way to my chest. It almost felt as if I was coming to the end of a journey. As a hand wrapped around mine, I pushed away my sorrow with a thought.

But the end of a journey means the start of another one.

Hey! I'm so glad that you read my book. This is one of two epilogues that I've created because some of my readers wanted an only Ryker option.