Ch. 6

After practicing for an hour, we took a break. Rin and Cian went to get a drink, and I approached Ryker. I smiled, crossing my arms. "So you can actually play?"

He chuckled, a happy expression came upon his face. "Yes, I do. My brothers taught me how to play the guitar."

"How many brothers do you have?" I said as we made our way to the bar. I signaled to the bartender for two waters.

Ryker sat next to me, swinging his legs around to face me. When he faced me, I noticed that he had a sad smile on his face. "I had four brothers. What about you? Any siblings?"

I hesitated. "I have a half-sister. We don't talk anymore."

"I'm sorry."

I scrunched my face up. "Don't be. We never were sisters much. When she was leaving, I knew that she was happy."

Understanding shined in his eyes. I was happy that he didn't try to press me for more information. I relaxed and took a sip. "Are you originally from South Carolina?"

He shook his head. "I'm from everywhere. I never really had a home." At my expression, he explained. "My family and I moved around a lot. My father was military. Some places we stayed for only a few months. The longest time I stayed in one place was two years. I moved out of from my parents two years ago and have been trying to find an Academy family. I still have to find my family." His voice was full of longing. "What about you? I bet you're a Carolinian girl."

I shook my head at how wrong he was. "I moved here from Illinois four years ago. I was with a team for a year, but it didn't work out. They left three years ago, and I have been with the Kilgannon team for almost the same time. I would say that they saved me." I was shocked that I shared that much information with someone I barely knew. I looked away, embarrassed.

A hand softly grabbed mine. I turned my head to look into eyes full of understanding. He smiled, softly squeezing my hand. "Hey, it's okay. You don't have to share anything you are not uncomfortable with. I understand."

I smiled, suddenly shy. My heart beat quickly. I hadn't felt like this since three years ago.

Ryker suddenly looked away. A blush creeped up on his face. He slowly looked into my eyes and took my other hand. "Sang, I need to get this out. You can say no if you want to, but I hope you don't." He stammered. I smiled tenderly at the way he was acting. "Sang, would you go on a date with me?"

I froze. Could I accept? Did I want to accept? Yes, I mean no. I wasn't sure. Do I look at Ryker at someone I could date? To be a friend and be my boyfriend?

"Sang?" Ryker' voice pierced my thoughts. His worried expression told me that he had tried to get my attention for a few minutes. "Are you okay? If you didn't want to go out with me, can we at least be friends?"

I squeezed his hand. His blue eyes rose to meet mine, and I smiled softly. "I don't know if I am able." I sighed, deciding to tell him more about my past, but not the whole truth. "Three years ago, I was dating someone in the team I was in. I was in a really bad situation and he was my light. I loved him and thought that he loved me. He and his team was sent on a mission and I was fine, thinking that he would contact me. At first, it was days before he could contact me. Then days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months. Six months after they left, I got a message from him, saying that he no longer wanted to be with me and sent a picture of him with another girl. Ever since then, I have been trying to build myself up. I don't know if I am able to open myself to you yet."

Silence followed my confession before Ryker opened his mouth to speak. "Would you like a hug?"

Startled at his reaction at my confession, I looked at him. He didn't try to offer me condolences but tried to comfort me. Tears gathered in my eyes as I nodded. Ryker gathered me in his arms, pulling me closer until I stood between his legs. I buried my head into his neck, smelling the cologne of smoky pineapple and woodsy notes. It was a light and fresh fragrance, not sharp, not spicy but bright and very nice. It fit him.

Suddenly I was yanked away and pulled into the arms of an angry Irishman. Cian gave Ryker a glare that would have others running away. He pulled me away to the other side of the room as Rin prohibited Ryker from following us. Once we were far away, Cian looked at me with concern. "Sang, are you okay? What did he do?" I sobbed, more tears coming out which unfortunately made him more furious. He wrapped me in his arms, rocking me slightly. "Don't worry, Tania. Once I am done, no one will find his body."

I stepped back in shock. "Wait- waa- what?!"

Cian looked confused. "Do you want his body to be found?"

I punched his arm which hurt me more than him. "He was comforting me, Cian. I was telling him about the Blackbourne Team, and he asked me if I wanted a hug."

Cian looked confused. "So no hiding his body?" At my glare, he backed up a step and raised his hands. "Okay, no killing him. I'm sorry." He looked sheepish. "I'm sorry. When I saw you crying, I just jumped to conclusions. Forgive me."

I wrapped my arms around his waist. "I forgive you. And thank you for looking after me."

"No problem, Titania." He murmured. "What do you think about Mr. Evers' proposal?"

"We still need to talk to the others. Do you think that we could add something to the band?"

Cian smirked. "Add something or add someone?" I huffed, raising my fist. He laughed, dragging me to the others. "Ok, let's kiss up and play." He winked playfully at Ryker.

Rin grabbed Cian's arm, giving him a hard glare. "The only one you can kiss here is me." He growled. The three of us stared at him in shock and surprise.

Ryker broke the silence. "Whoa! Who knew that Rin had a dark side."

Rin rolled his eyes and started to pull Cian towards the stage. He muttered at Cian who was laughing, "Oh, be quiet, bonehead. Or there won't be any kisses for you tonight."

Cian immediately stopped laughing.