Ch.13

While Rowan was having a conversation with Rowan, Cian, and Rin, I had sneaked into the bathroom to take a shower. My phone went off with a text. Dr. Roberts had messaged me. I opened the message to see the picture of a cute puppy.

Dr. Phil: Before I say anything, think of the puppy picture.

Me: It's a cute picture. What do you want, Phil?

Dr. Phil: I am asking if you and the others can come to the hospital and sing.

Me: Not that I am against it, but why?

Dr. Phil: Last night, Gabrielle Ross was admitted to the hospital. It's not good. She adores you and loves your voice.

I sighed. Gabrielle Ross was another Academy member that took me under her wing when the boys left. She was like the mother that I never had. Before I met her, she was clear of cancer for years but then the breast cancer resurfaced. My heart broke when I read that she was in the hospital. I wanted to show her how I was and introduce her to Ryker.

Me: I'll talk to the others but I'm sure that they will say yes.

Finishing my shower, I dressed and made my way to my room. When I opened the door, I smiled at the man sitting on my bed. Narrowed blue eyes looked at me. "They were brutal."

I giggled. "I know. I'm sorry."

He stared at me. "No, you're not." In spite of his stern look, the corner of his mouth lifted in a small crooked smile.

He stood up as I walked towards him. I raised myself to my tiptoes and hooked my arms around his neck. His arms rested around my waist. He smiled at me, and I smiled back. "No, I'm not."

He bent and lightly caressed my lips with his. When he pulled back, his eyes were happy. "I am really happy. Although I hated having that conversation with the others, I knew that they cared for you. They love you. I sometimes wish that I had what you have."

I pulled back, confused. "What do you mean?"

Ryker pulled us onto the bed. Our backs were resting against the head of the bed. His arms hugged me to his side. His breath washed over the top of my head. "My mother left me. She didn't love me or my brothers to take us. My father hated me. I was the weakest. I was more 'brains' than 'brawn' and he wanted me to follow in his footsteps. The only way to gain his love was to go into the military. My brothers. They loved me but suddenly they were gone. Matthew appeared after several years and took me in, but it was never like the relationships I had with my other brothers. I know that he loves me in his own way but I don't have what you have. You have a true family that will do anything for you."

I pulled back, framing his face in my hands. "You have that now. You have me, Cian, Rowan, Rin, Uncle, Dr. Roberts, and the Toma team. You have a family now, and we won't leave you."

About ten minutes went by before we entered the kitchen where the others were sitting around the table with a cup of coffee. I poured two cups and handed one to Ryker. I started to get food out from the cupboards and fridge. I looked at the others. They seemed to know that I wanted to say something, but I was procrastinating. They must be tired from last night.

Rin spoke. "What is it, Sang? You are making all of us anxious."

I sighed, leaning back onto the counter. "Mrs. Ross is in the hospital. Dr. Roberts thinks that she won't have long. I know that this is a selfish request, but can we go and sing to her?"

They all shared a soft smile. Ryker came to me, pulling me into a hug. "Of course, we can. Like I said, we would do anything for you."

A few hours later, the five of us walked through the glass doors to the hospital which also happens to be the Academy headquarters. I have to applaud Sean and Mr. Blackbourne at their genius idea. No one would expect a hospital to be the place where the Academy resides. The receptionist who has known me for years waved at us happily. I went over to her and pulled her into a hug. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a pony tail, and her brown eyes sparkled. She was always happy, and it would take something drastic to take the smile away from her face.