Ch. 20

Ryker drove towards my apartment. The car was silent, but I reached over and slipped his hand in mine. We held onto each other, lost to our thoughts. When he pulled up in front of my apartment complex, he spoke, "Do you want me to come in?"

I shook my head, keeping my eyes away from him. "No, I want some time to myself. Walk me to the door?"

He nodded, putting the car in park. He got out and opened my door. When I placed my hand in his, he held it, not letting go. When we were in front of my apartment door, I reached for my keys when Ryker stopped me. I looked up into pained blue eyes. "What's wrong?"

He smiled, but his smile was off. Nervous. "Nothing is wrong."

I frowned. "What is it?"

He rubbed the back of his head with his free hand. A sheepish smile came to his face. "Did I ever tell you that I am rich?"

My head jerked back. "What?"

A light blush colored his cheeks. "My brother Matthew is an investor. When my dad died, he left me everything including a hefty bank account. Matthew helped me invest and I have enough money to live quite comfortably if I don't spend too much."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

He squeezed my hand slightly. "Most of the girls that I knew were only interested in me for my money. When I met you, I didn't know you, and when I did, the topic never came up."

I sucked in a breath and exhaled. "I don't blame you. It's hard to know who people really are at the beginning. I'm glad that you told me."

Ryker smiled in relief. "Thanks."

A thought popped into my mind, and I tilted my head. I looked up into his eyes. "Why did you offer for everyone to meet up at your place instead of mine?"

"My place isn't anything special. It doesn't have any meaning to me other than a place to live in. Your place is something to you. It's a place where you live, love your team, experience your freedom, and a place where you can be alone. When I met you, you were so hesitant to let me in. When you let someone inside your barriers, you open your home to them. I didn't want you to let the Blackbourne team invade your personal area. Not until you are ready."

Tears welled up in my eyes. Ryker knew how I felt about my house. How I felt uneasy letting the Blackbourne team into my apartment. He knew me. Wordless, I wrapped my arms around his waist. "I love you, Ryker Nightingale."

He wrapped his arms around me, and he sighed. Ryker rested his chin on my head, his breath warming the top of my head. "I love you, too, Sang Sorenson." After a few moments of silence, he spoke. "When you come tonight, maybe you can bring your overnight bag." I stilled, listening at the hopeful tone in his voice and felt his breath catch. "I mean, just so we can sleep. I don't expect anything from you whenever we are alone. I won't do anything until you are say so."

I chuckled. "Ryker, you are a knight in a shining armor. I know what you mean, and I trust you to keep to your word. I'd love to stay the night."

A bright smile came over his face, and he bent, pressing a kiss against my forehead. "Wonderful. I better go. The last time I was there, Matthew was throwing dirty dishes in the sink. Knowing him, he won't clean them. I'll see you later."

Ryker waited until I was inside my apartment before leaving. Inside, I leaned against the door. My heart beat with so many emotions, and my head felt so heavy. Slowly walking towards my closed bedroom door, I opened the door and focused on my closet. Reaching into the closet, I tugged out the opened box that held the mementos of my past. There was at least one shirt belonging to the members of the Blackbourne team. My journals with my secret language were stacked at the side, and I reached for the latest book. I had stopped writing when I met my brother and his team. The leather creaked as I turned towards the last entry I wrote.

I don't know why they don't love me anymore. They left me, but I am not alone. I've met people who I think can help me heal. At least my body. My heart is another matter. It will always belong to them, and now it's shattered. I don't think my heart will ever heal. I just hope that one day, it will.

I smiled, caressing the pages. At that time, I was so broken. I was so depressed at that time and didn't think that I could move on. I didn't think that I would find someone else who I could love so much. But my heart has healed. My heart was brought back together by a man with black hair and blue eyes. With a smile that makes my pulse skip a beat. With a voice that draws me out from my terrors. With a mind that knows my own. With a heart that he gave to heal mine.

I closed my book and replaced it in the box. I took out the articles of clothing and laid them to the side. I straightened the crooked collar on a long-sleeved white button-up shirt, thinking of the man this shirt used to belong to. With a last look at my journals that held my fear, my hopes, and my heartbreak, I placed the lid on them.